61

Hey everyone! I thought Hailee has a gorgeous voice and thought it would work well with this chapter <3
_________________________________________

A very immaculately groomed man and woman stepped from under the restaurant's awning, looking they expected every person within a foot radius to bow down to them.

The woman was definitely in her forties but seemed to have had recent work done. She wore a tight black dress and blazer, complete with a wide sun hat.

The man looked his age, with several wrinkles, but wore a perfectly ironed business suit with a long cane in his hand.

"Oh, dear," The woman smiled, holding out both her arms for a hug. "How I've missed you. It's been so long!"

"It's been a damn year, you drunk." Hero said without fail.

"Oh," The woman smiled, "I remember when you turned eighteen and we sent you away- was one of the best days of my life!" She chuckled. "Just kidding- you know I love to do that!"

I stood still, surprised at the fact that Hero was only nineteen. I would have expected him to be older. As I looked at the two people he clearly despised, I saw just how much of a hot mess they were.

Hero rushed up to the woman, slamming a fist down on the restaurant walls, nearly cracking the bricks. He earned a few worried glances his way.

"Why don't you just leave? Nobody cares about you anyway." He snapped.

"I believe it's quite the opposite," The woman began, removing her large sunglasses, "Niall is such a dear, inviting us here."

Hero spun around, fury clear in his eyes. He pinned Niall with a look that told me that he was about to beat him senseless.

"You invited them here? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I did a lot of thinking," Niall replied, "But you really need to bury the hatchet. You've been fighting with them for a year now."

"For good reason." Hero said through clenched teeth. "That witch isn't my mother anymore."

I gasped, taken aback. They were his parents? They looked so different from him.

Hero's mother ignored his vitriol, approaching me with a determined look in her eyes.

"And who might you be? You're an... interesting... creature aren't you?"

This comment made me feel suddenly self-conscious. It seemed like she was judging me. I looked down at my bow-tie cardigan and leg warmers. I didn't look that bad, did I?

This caused Hero to grab ahold of his mother's arm, yanking her away. "Stay the fuck away from her. She's not going to be dragged into your bullshit!"

I was shocked when his mother simply cackled in his face. "Oh, I see she's important to you. She's cute. I only wanted to speak with her."

As if the universe had answered prayers, Josephine ran from behind the convertible, linking her arm with Niall's.

"Perhaps we should head inside... Everyone is staring."

"I quite agree." Hero's mother said. "I've traveled a long way and I'm famished."

Hero quickly grabbed ahold of my hand. "Come on, Kristina. I'll take you home."

I yanked away, still feeling upset at him. How bad could his mother really be?

"I want to stay," I said.

Coming to terms with my decision, Hero grumbled, sticking his hands in his pockets. As we all headed inside, I saw his mother cuddle up to his father. Instead of hugging her like I expected, Hero's father pushed at his mother, slapping at her behind.

I didn't like him one bit.

Once we were seated and made our orders, Hero's parents didn't hold back in voicing their opinions.

"Kristina," His father began, "you're a pretty girl. What are your ambitions in life?"

"Oh, umm..." I trailed off, not expecting such a straight forward question.

"I wonder," His mother went on, "what's your net worth, dear?"

Hero pounded his fist on the table, making the silverware clatter.

"Fucking seriously? She's not an exhibit."

"I agree with that!" His mother exclaimed. "She's hardly anything! I'll tell you: You know how to pick them!"

I felt tears well up in my eyes. I had never heard anyone ever speak of me this way.

"You know what, mom?" Hero seethed. "I'm fucking sick of your jealously against anyone I choose to... fuck this! I'm not doing this anymore! Kristina, either you come with me or I'm leaving without you!"

With one last look at Josephine, I followed Hero out the door, clinging to his side.

To my surprise, he nestled me into the crook of his arm.

I hope you all are having a good morning.

What did you think of Hero's parents haha.

Please don't forget to vote and comment <3