75

Hey everyone! Don't judge, felt like going back to Soulja Boy days lmao
______________________________________

The table was being served with food and drinks by waiters as we sat in unison. After making myself comfy, Dorinda scooted away from me like an immature kid.

"Excuse me," She snapped, "You need to read your postcard. My son said a Katrina was sitting here with me. Not a Kristina."

"Mom, could you just shut up?" Hero demanded. "She's here. That's it!"

Dorinda huffed. "I didn't realize we were bringing in the filth-"

Hero had stood up, making the silverware on the table clatter, but I rested my hand on his arm.

"Just ignore her! Please!"

As soon as I managed to get Hero to calm down, a man in a suit walked onto the stage with a cordless microphone. His voice was loud and thundering as he spoke.

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the Horan Relief Foundation! We are all here to empty our pockets for a very good cause. Tonight we will be starting with a banquet dinner and an auction before our grand ball. We will be doing things a little differently! Instead of auctioning off the girls for a date, we will be offering them temp jobs at the enterprise, free of charge! How will this benefit our community you may ask? All proceeds will go to schools in need of supplies and funding programs!"

I looked around the entire ballroom, taken aback by the generosity. I had never heard of gala's that worked this way. Usually, it was centered around expensive property or estates. Niall's parents had certainly outdone themselves.

Just as I thought this, I saw Niall whispering to Jo, guiding her across the ballroom through a set of doors. I was a bit concerned, but I let them go not wanting to be rude to the speaker.

"Now!" The man on stage continued, "Let's welcome the lovely ladies all hoping for a chance to make a brighter future!"

I stared in awe as each individual girl climbed on stage. They were all dressed in tight, short dresses with heels, the same exact color. They all looked like they'd just graduated high school like myself: simply looking for a way to break into the career they desired.

Something that angered me as soon as I saw them was the sight of Kylie, with her black hair straightened to the max and a short black dress to match. When our eyes met, I knew there could be no mistaking it. Hero stiffened as he noticed this.

"Did you know she was here?" I hissed under my breath.

It took him a minute to respond. "Yes. She's always been a part of the program."

I felt my emotions running thin. "Is she always going to be number one in your life?"

"It's not like that-" Hero whispered back being immediately interrupted by Dorinda.

"What are you two squabbling about over there?"

I ignored her attempts at trying to rile us up. I was too concerned with Kylie who was obviously more important in my boyfriend's eyes. Why else would she be here?

"Oh, seems like we have a last-minute entry I'd forgotten about," The speaker went on, as a woman in a jump-suit ran off stage. "A Ms. Kristina Addison!"

Amidst the deafening applause around me, I wondered if I'd heard things correctly. Tawnee clapped excitedly, staring right at me.

"That's you, my dear!"

Dorinda looked confused. "How could she have been entered? We had no idea she'd be here!"

Tawnee laughed. "You mean you had no idea. Your darling son called me. There are no rules. It is, after all, my company benefit."