✖️Coma✖️

✖️✖️✖️

Chapter 20: Coma

✖️✖️✖️

The Last Person You'd Ever Expect

After the funeral, I drove home with Zach. We sat in his car in a comfortable silence until he soiled it.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

"I guess," I shrugged. "I didn't really know Jesse as well as Julia did, and I just want to make sure Julia's okay."

"You're a good friend," he told me, bringing my knuckles up to his lips and kissing them.

"Thanks," I told him.

It was snowing really hard outside, and Zach kept working the window wipers. I hated driving in heavy snow like that one. I cringed every time the window wiper went across the window shield.

"Be careful," I told him.

"You sorry too much, babe," he laughed.

I don't remember too much of the next part, just a loud beep, a light, and Zach throwing himself in front of me before everything went black.

✖️✖️✖️

I woke up in a hospital bed. The smells of sanitizers filled my nose and the blinding white of everything made my eyes cringe. As my eyes adjusted, I saw three figures standing around my hospital bed and two sitting by the window. The three around my bed were Julia, Jamie, and Sydney, and the two by the window were my parents. Sydney tackled me in a hug as soon as I opened my eyes, and her familiar scent of strawberries filled my nose.

"Oh thank God," she gasped. "You're okay, you're okay."

"Yah, I'm fine, I'm still breathing," I assured her. "What happened?"

My dad cleared his throat. "You and your friend, Zach were in a car wreck. Zach...he...he got the worst of it."

"He's not...dead, is he?" I asked, the lump rising in my throat threatening to collapse.

"No," Julia shook her head, but tears rose in her eyes. "He-he-he's in a coma."

Julia started shaking with sobs, and Sydney hugged her. I felt my heart stop. My mom hurried over to the bed.

"He threw himself in front of you," she told me, running her hand through my hair. "He's a good friend, he'll be okay."

When she said 'he's a good friend', she reminded me of what he told me.

You're a good friend

That conversation could've been the last one I ever had with him.

I didn't tell him how much better he made my life

I didn't tell him how happy he made me.

I didn't tell him how I knew I had to go out with him the first time I saw him.

I didn't tell him how I had serious thoughts on how he could be the one for me.

I should've been me in the coma. Zach, he had to attend college classes, he was open about his sexuality, he was strong. The world needed Zach Wess more than it would ever need Jake Demitrance.

I tried to believe my mom, to think that he would be okay, I really did, but I find it hard to look on the bright side when it feels as though your whole world is falling apart.

✖️✖️✖️

a/n: whoops i'm sorry i'll go get an exorcism i feel like satan but i'm crying too don't worry come cry with me and we can have an internet support group

[and that a/n was brought to you by danisnotonfire aka bae af]

no but i am sorry for these past like four chapters

i wrote these chapters in advance so i'd get the chunk of really depressing parts out of the way

the next one will be cute and happy...kind of

I love you guysssssss

xxx