✖️The Shack✖️

✖️✖️✖️

Chapter 17: The Shack

✖️✖️✖️

The Silent Girl

Julia went out with Zach, and her parents were out of town, so I had the entire house all to myself. I had cocooned myself in their guest room's soft comforters with Julia's laptop logged into tumblr like the antisocial caterpillar I truly was. I was very comfortable when I heard the doorbell ring. I groaned in annoyance when I had to get out of my comfort and answer the door. And there stood someone that I never wanted to see again.

"What are you doing here?" I spat.

"I came to bring my daughter home," my mother told me with a sweet smile.

"I'm not your daughter," I scoffed. "Bye."

I slammed the door shut, but my mom stopped it. She pushed the door back open and looked enraged. She raised her hand and slapped me. My cheek stung, and my eyes teared up.

"Listen here, young lady," my mother growled. "You will respect me, I brought you into this world, and I could take you out of it."

"Is that a death threat?" I tried to sound strong, but my voice cracked. "I could send you to jail for that, oh, how's your husband doing, by the way?"

"How dare you!" She yelled, slapping me again. My cheek stung, and I felt the sudden urge to cry. Instead, I pushed my mother out of the door and slammed it shut. I locked the door before leaning against it and sobbing.

I finally had a nice home. I relatively liked my life. I had a nice foster family. Couldn't my mom just leave me alone? I was kind of happy. I was getting over my depression.

It hit me how much my parents never loved me. Hell, they didn't even like me. I cried and cried and cried until my chest and head hurt. No one was there to comfort me. No one except myself. I hurried up the stairs and wrapped myself back up in the comforter.

A couple of hours later, I heard the door open and laughter from downstairs. I ran into the bathroom and locked the door behind me. I couldn't let Julia know I broke down. I looked at my red, blotchy face, and I splashed my face with cold water and let my eyes calm down. I walked out to find Julia sitting on my bed with Zach.

"Syd, are you okay?" Julia asked me.

I felt my lips tremble right before I began to sob. Julia took me in her arms, and Zach held me as well.

"Sh, shhhhh," Julia cooed. "It's okay, you're with us now."

"I'll go get you some food," Zach promised before kissing the back of my head.

Zach was super sweet, and I did really like him, but I preferred to just talk to Julia. Zach knew when he could be around, and he also knew when not to be around. He was pretty smart.

"She w-w-was here," I sobbed. "My m-m-mother came. She hit me and said th-th-things."

"That bitch," Julia gasped. "Don't worry, I can get my parents to sue her."

"No," I said sternly. "I don't like her, but I don't want her to be sued. It just kind of got to me. Do you think I could get a restraining order or something?"

"Definitely," Julia said. "But hey, let's get out of here."

Zach came back upstairs and handed me a Hershey's bar. I smiled and thanked him.

"You're welcome, Babe," he told me before planting a kiss on the top of my head. He smiled and sat beside me on the bed.

"I'm inviting Jake and Jamie over, and we're going up to the lake," Julia announced.