✖Poetic✖️

✖️✖️✖️

Chapter 29: Poetic

✖️✖️✖️

The Boy That Hears Things That Aren't There

I was concerned about Sydney. She was going through a mourning period, and I understood that, but she had some habits that were concerning me.

While she was in rehab, she had gotten over the shame of her scars and began wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts in the privacy of her home. She went back to only wearing long sleeved shirts and pulling them over her hands and pants. She looked adorable with sweater paws, but I was scared that she was hiding something.

She used to eat. She used to eat a normal amount. Now, she ate next to nothing. The most I had seen her eat in one meal after her mother's death was half a sandwich. I tried to persuade her to eat, but she always told me that she wasn't hungry or she wasn't feeling well.

The worst thing was how she was withdrawing from everyone. She would lock herself in her room and not let anyone in, telling us that she was taking a nap.

No one takes five naps a day.

Eventually, I couldn't stand it. I loved that girl, she knew it and I knew it, and. I had to help her. I couldn't live knowing that she was harming herself or not letting herself eat or crying alone so she wouldn't feel ashamed. I hated knowing that I couldn't help her.

I picked her and Julia up on Sydney's first day back. Julia wore a nice, blue dress and Sydney wore a black sweater, black skinnies, and black vans. Sydney's hair was tied up in a messy bun, and she had put on a little make up, but she looked beautiful with or without it.

"Good morning," I smiled at them, pulling out the muffins I had picked up on my way there. Sydney smiled and kissed my cheek.

"Thanks, Babe," she smiled. It was nice to see her smile. Her smile was beautiful.

We drove in an awkward silence to school. It wasn't comfortable, like most of our silences were, it was almost unbearable.

We got to school, and Sydney ran off. I lost track of her completely. I shrugged it off and assumed I'd see her in English second period.

Oh I was such an idiot.

I walked into English, and Sydney wasn't there. Halfway through the lesson, and her absence was eating at me. I had to find her, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't. I raised my hand and the teacher called on me.

"May I please use the restroom? It's an emergency," I asked nervously.

I was granted permission, and I flew out of the classroom. There was only one spot I thought Sydney could be.

I had found her there a week into her freshman year and my sophomore year. I had heard soft cries from inside of it, and I decided to investigate. And there sat the little blonde emo I had been crushing on in the midst of a mental breakdown. She was hastily rubbing her eyes, trying to make it look like she wasn't crying, but I knew better. Instead, I just sat down beside her and put an arm around her. I didn't ask why she was crying, I just held her and let her cry into my shirt.

And more than a year later, I knew she'd be in there again.

I heard the cries outside of the door, just like last time. I opened the door and saw Sydney, beautiful, wonderful Sydney crying her eyes out. She again tried to wipe her eyes, but she stopped when she saw it was me. I simple stepped in, turned on the light, and shut the door behind me. I sat beside her and held her.