Chapter 16

"I don't know, I really think this suits me," Rey says sarcastically as she spins, showing off the dramatic deep blue satin robe she found in one of the storage containers.

The blue robe trails far behind her, and is accented by an array of obnoxious green feathers sprouting around the neck.

You stifle a laugh and pretend to critique the outfit thoughtfully, stroking your nonexistent mustache.

"I'd have to agree with you on that, the feathers really pull it all together," You answer with a grin.

Finding clothes with Rey has been exactly what you needed, her dry humor has seeped through your hardened exterior. You've been cracking ridiculous jokes and occasionally pulling out a genuinely useful outfit for the better part of an hour.

The more time you spend with Rey, the more you begin to realize how much you have missed out on over the last few years. Sure, there are girls in the Resistance that you're friendly with, but no one who can truly comprehend what's been going on within your tumultuous existence for almost a decade.

This spritely, way too pretty to be true, Force sensitive lady is exactly what you needed, apparently.

Your fingers graze over a variety of boxes, your eyes scanning to find one with a label having anything to do with casual outfits.

Rey shuffles out of the robe and delicately folds it, placing it back in the box it came from. You can sense her shift in energy as she clears her throat.

She's nervous.

"So, uh, about what happened on Starkiller..." She starts quietly, her lulling accent ringing through the now quiet space.

"What about it?" You hum as you continue to peruse the containers.

"Kylo? The lightening? You passed out in front of me and marched into the base without an explanation..." She continues and sits on the box she just closed.

You nod your head and take a deep breath, preparing to tell her the story.

"I knew this boy, once. We were at the Jedi Temple training together under Master Skywalker," You begin, not turning to face her.

"He was two years older than me, and the grandson of this super powerful Jedi, so naturally I was really intimidated. He had this ridiculous mane of black hair, I was actually pretty jealous of it, damn that kid had some great hair," You sigh, thinking of the luscious locks Ben Solo consistently flaunted around.

Rey chuckles lightly, though remains mildly confused by your story's start.

"A group of us went to Ilum, which is Starkiller Base's original name by the way, and went searching for our kyber crystals," You continue on as your eyes lock on a bin on the bottom shelf of the unit labeled 'women/casual.'

"Yes!" You exclaim as you tediously pull the bin out and slide it in front of Rey. She watches you with wide eyes but accepts the bin and opens the lid immediately. You, on the other hand, slide to the ground and sit with your legs crossed, eyeing the floor.

"Sorry, kyber crystal?" Rey asks quietly.

"Oh my bad, kyber crystals are what go into lightsabers, their power sources if you will. Luke will explain it better when we get to him," You answer and she nods in understanding.

"Anyway, he saved my life on that planet, and we were pretty much inseparable after then. Eventually we got older, and of course puberty hit and he turned into a modern adonis, rat tail padawan braid and all," You say with a soft smile.

Rey pauses in shuffling through clothes to pull out a studded leather jacket, holding it up to herself and raising her eyebrows at you.

You shake your head no and take the jacket from her, placing it on your shoulders and sitting against the wall again.