Chapter 48

An hour and a half later, the room has come to a consensus.

The treaty will be signed, begrudgingly, but it will be done.

The taste of stale coffee sits on your tongue as you watch the room stir anxiously as the treaty is printed and a pen is distributed to every person.

Fuck, you should have practiced your signature, you've barely scribed the name Palpatine over the last few weeks, it will look weird.

Whatever.

The paper is passed to Kylo first, he doesn't even hesitate to press his pen to the paper and scribble his own name.

It is promptly given to you, where you pretend to look over the terms to make sure none were typed incorrectly before putting your name in ink beside Kylo's.

Some time later, all of the officials have signed the treaty.

Champagne is poured, and you all stand with undeserved pride as you toast to the new alliance.

"To peace, freedom, justice, and security," Kylo says with a grin.

"To the positive future of our galaxy," You chime.

Everyone clinks their glasses with their neighbors, while Kylo ignores those around him and looks at you in the eye while lifting his glass toward you.

Your eyes follow the rim of the glass to his lips, your stomach does an unnecessary tumble watching the liquid pour into his mouth before he swipes his tongue over his bottom lip.

Back burner, Y/N, put it on the back burner.

You drink a few sips before your insides turn upside down.

Instead of remaining in the celebration, you pardon yourself quietly and walk briskly to Poe's quarters.

The door slides open and you find his familiar frame lurking against the window with his arms hugging his torso.

"Hey," You announce yourself quietly.

He doesn't turn to acknowledge you, he just nods.

"The First Order just signed the treaty," You tell him with a soft but excited tone.

Poe continues to glare out of the window, the lack of emotion on his face unnerves you.

"We can take it back to the Resistance first thing tomorrow," You continue while placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I need to stay here and keep looking for Finn," He answers quickly.

You stay quiet for a few moments as you try to figure out how to respond.

"I can stay here, I think they're more comfortable with me in their business right now, besides, I think Leia will want your own explanation of your time here," You tell him.

He nods his head and continues to watch the stars twinkle, "And what should I tell her, Supreme Leader Palpatine?"

His eyes cut to your own with nothing but hostility and rage.

You take a quick step back as you gasp lightly clutching your hands to your chest.

"What?"

"Don't fucking try it, Y/N," He quips angrily as he returns his gaze outside.

You try to swallow the lump in your throat while you watch him curiously.

You've underestimated him, or maybe you just stopped caring.