Prologue

"You get it?" General Organa questions after explaining the details of your next mission for the Resistance.

Her chocolate eyes shimmer in interest, with a hint of hesitancy.

You chuckle lightly as you uncross your legs and rise from the comfortable grey office chair across the black table from Leia.

All of the blinds in the conference room are closed, it's just the two of you in the large space. This insures that you both are the only people that know the extent and detail of your newest endeavor on behalf of the Resistance, muchless the galaxy.

You nod your head, "Of course General, have I ever disappointed you?"

You turn towards the light grey doors leading out to the rebel base, glancing back to see Leia watching you expectantly.

She remains seated and sends a pointed smirk in your direction with raised eyebrows, "Not yet."

—————-

You finish loading your pack into the small white X-wing, making sure to grab your double sided lightsaber, stowing it safely beside the seat of the aircraft.

Feeling content, you turn from the ship and hop to the ground as gracefully as possible. You nod your head towards a crew member as she finishes loading fuel into the X-wing.

"Y/L/N!" You hear a familiar voice shouting from behind a few crates loitering about the dark hangar.

"Dameron!" You send back, double checking that you packed all of your necessities into the X-wing before nodding to the small black droid beside you. "Alright S2-B5, time to load up."

The droid chirps and rolls underneath the ship, a mechanism quickly emerges to pick the droid up into the rear.

Poe emerges from behind the crates, adorning a large smirk with concern in his eyes.

"Leaving without giving me a goodbye kiss?" He says sarcastically, his arms extended beside him.

Poe has been one of your closest friends on the base. He joined a few months after you did, both of you competing for the title of 'best pilot' (and though you'd never tell him to his face, he has you beat).

After practically growing up together, the two of you have formed a beautiful relationship consisting of the rest of the Resistance poking fun at your flirtiness while you cover for FinnPoe (even though you're almost certain everyone knows at this point, why did they want to keep it a secret again?).

You gasp, feigning shock. "I could never! You know I wouldn't hurt you like that," You respond, placing a hand over your heart.

"C'mere stupid," He says, and the two of you embrace in a strong hug. "Don't kill yourself out there, or worse, get caught."

You roll your eyes and push him away slightly, ruffling your hand through his dark hair.

"I could say the same for you here," You respond, crossing your arms and raising your eyebrows at him.

"You know the General would never kill me, I'm far too valuable of an asset for her and the Resistance," He quips, and immediately the two of you burst into laughter.

"Right, you keep telling yourself that," You say, stepping back towards the X-wing.

"Really though, be careful," Poe says with concern as you ascend the ladder.

"You too kid," You respond with a slight smile, jumping into the cockpit.

You start your routine, quickly firing up the engines and knocking on the exterior of the craft four times (for good luck) before closing the door above you.