Chapter 22

A bitter howl pierces the quiet air of Dee'ja Peak, a cry of pain so loud that it rattles your soul.

It takes a few moments for you to realize that the sound came from your own throat, your eyes still locked on the pile of rocks that once was your family's home as you sit on your knees.

They were all you had left.

Quickly, you rise from your knees and walk towards the damage, determined to find your family amidst this chaos, no matter the cost.

Your chest sears from a pain you haven't experienced in almost a decade, the pain of irrevocable loss.

Before you can reach the foundations of the house, you trip on some moist rubble. You turn to glance towards the item you stumbled over to find a molting corpse, brown hair singed into the stone underneath and the shreds of a spaceport uniform smoking slightly.

You can't help but throw up at the sight of Adelaide's body on the cobblestone, you turn away as to not hit her remains with the bile emerging from your stomach.

After you finish vomiting, you turn back towards her and kneel down. You delicately turn her body onto her back, revealing her face. Half of it is just her skull, though the damage hadn't quite reached the left side of her face.

It has become more difficult to see through the sea of tears flooding your eyes, but you make sure to close her one remaining eyelid and lay her head gently on the sidewalk.

The eye of the hurricane settles over your heart as you remain motionless for a few moments. There's a disconnect between what you are experiencing and what you are feeling. You brain is processing the information, but it's almost as if there are no emotions left to be felt.

With lightening crackling between your fingertips, you make your way into the remains of the house, making sure to watch your feet. It doesn't take long to find a pair of completely incinerated skeletons stuck underneath a slab of marble that used to be a support beam above the kitchen.

Another scream sounds, though you're far too detached from this reality to process it as your own.

You use the force to lift the marble off of your aunt and uncle, and promptly collapse next to their bones.

You are alone.

These people, your family, were all you had. Even when you weren't with them you knew you could always return to them and they would accept you with open arms.

Adelaide was only 16.

Hours pass as you crouch between your aunt and uncle, after some time your tear ducts dry but you hardly notice, instead you stay trapped in a daze, eyes glued to the decaying bodies that used to love you.

A thin layer of ash has settles over the space, leaving a grey hue as the sun begins to shine over you.

You can hear people searching through the rubble, trying to find survivors, but you pay them no mind. You're in no position to leave your family yet.

"We've got one. This must be the daughter, what a shame." You hear a voice say, followed by more muffled sounds.

A man in a black maintenance suit appears before you, "I found a live one!"

You remain unmoving as the man undoubtedly observes the three skeletons in front of him.

"Are you okay?" He asks cautiously as he kneels in front of you, trying to make eye contact.

After a few moments of silence, he places a hand on your knee.

Before you can even process the contact, he is blasted a few yards away, smoldering.

You rise from the ground and roll your head, spotting a glimmering gold bracelet hanging from the forearm bones that once supported your aunt's lively body.

The bracelet is one of two, the other is six feet underneath the ground wrapped around your mother's decaying wrist.

In a rash move, you delicately grab the bracelet and stow it in your pocket.

Your comlink starts flashing in a repeating pattern, signaling that the General is trying to reach you.

She must have heard about the bombing.

You remove the comlink from around your shaking wrist and throw it to the ground. Quickly you step on the device, shattering it across the dusted cobblestone.  

A/N- literally the shortest chapter ever but it deserves to stand on its own.  i'll update more later this week i think.  all the love xx