Chapter 23

An ominous thunderstorm brews over Dee'ja Peak, which is rare for this time of the year.

The static pulsing between your digits threatens to break free in any way possible, but you continue to ignore the pressure as you do your emotions.

There's no time left. Obviously Ren knows that you are on Naboo, or at least he knows you are headed to Naboo after the attack. It's only a matter of time before he shows up in person.

If there's any place to look for leads now that your family is dead, it would be your old house.

S2 beeps curiously, and sadly, beside you as you sprint up the drive, determined to reach the house before it could be blown to shreds. You know the gunships aren't coming back, the star destroyer has disappeared... For now.

This house is the only one in the neighborhood still standing, and you know that's on purpose.

What kind of sick, twisted message is he trying to send?

Thunder crackles overhead.

The two story, marble villa is within your reach.

You walk up the front stairs and the front door slides open immediately, though with slight creaking. It hasn't been opened since before your parents died.

Surprisingly, minimal dust enraptures the space. Aunt Selene must have frequented the house to clean it...

A flash of lightening pierces somewhere far behind you, illuminating the darkened space.

The house is structured quite similarly to that of your aunt's, the sitting room and dining room are to your left, kitchen in front of you. The difference is that your father's office space is towards the right instead of a library, and the house isn't as gargantuan.

There isn't time to waste with sentiments, so you quickly veer to the right.

The office doors open with a slight hiss and you squint into the darkness before fully submerging yourself.

"S2, I need you." You tell the droid as you approach your father's desk.

The droid chirps in response and rolls next to you, awaiting instruction.

"Can you bypass the security on this?" You ask as you turn on the ancient computer.

S2 beeps adamantly and plugs into the base of the computer, then bypasses the passcode.

"This is why I keep you around." You say sarcastically before sitting down in the large black leather chair and pulling yourself closer to the keyboard.

It feels weird to be violating your father's space like this, but given the circumstances, he's in no position to reprimand.

Besides, he would have done the same thing.

A large gust of wind swims past the house, creating a creepy sound that unsettles you.

It takes little time for you to reach the database of the computer, specifically the files, now all you need to do is find the right one.

Your eyes scan the seemingly infinite list of files, amazed by how much information your father has stowed on this rusty computer.

Random files about business take up most of the space, until you find it.

Songbird.

You know with certainty that this is what you're supposed to be looking for, and immediately click on the file before another security clearance pulls up.