Chapter 60

"What the hell are you doing?" Kylo asks angrily, taking his own pod toward yours.

You watch as he emerges from the shadows, his long hair covering his forehead gets brushed aside as he pulls a hood from his head.

He has heartbreak written all over his features, betrayal and frustration and love being portrayed through his caramel eyes.

Your stomach is in knots, you knew he would show up eventually but seeing the damage of your actions is devastating.

Somehow, someway, you will work through this.

"Something you can't," You answer with sadness, mustering up courage to energize your weakened voice.

"Y/N, don't. There are better ways, she needs the stand trial! You can get revenge without doing this!" He pleads desperately.

He draws closer, you stand between Leia and Kylo, necessity pulling you in each direction.

You want nothing more for this all to be over, for you to be cradled within his strong arms as waves lap against a serene lake.

But that can't happen, and you don't know if it ever will again.

It's too late now, there's no going back now that you've made a spectacle in front of the senate. And now that you snuck out on Kylo, there's no going back on your betrayal.

Something shifts in your abdomen, and you can sense that Leia is moving to escape.

Your shoulders roll back callously and you spin to look at her, not caring about Kylo behind.

"Ah, not so fast, General," You snide, turning to electrocute the pod so that it begins to sink toward the floor.

You let the anger back in, allowing it to surge through you and motivate your swift movements.

Leia desperately braces against the side of the capsule as it falls while Kylo jumps to the floor to meet her.

You already leapt before he did though, and you reach the crashed pod before his feet hit the floor.

Leia watches you approach her with terror, clutching a blaster in her shaking hands.

Your hands shake with pent up energy, and your eyes fluctuate in focus as you stand over her cowering frame.

Behind you, the crisp sound of a lightsaber igniting. The familiar crackle of the cracked kyber crystal fueling the fragile, deadly beam.

"I can't let you do this," Kylo says with frustration.

"I know," You answer with sorrow, he's beginning to understand what's happening now, but not in its entirety.

Your lips quiver as you take a deep breath and turn to face him.

His aura is tumultuous and stormy with a deep blue hue, and you can tell that yours is the same but permeating magenta, or crimson.

He stands a few feet away with his cherry-red lightsaber glowing at his side.

You think that his mournful features mirror your own. Kylo has tears streaming down his face, emphasizing his internal torment.

The two of you had spent weeks together enjoying the peace and quiet, of finally grounding you through the other's presence. Weeks spent being lazy upon sand as the lake water grazed your feet, weeks having late night snacks and early morning confluences.

You knew from the beginning of your time in Varykino that you would have to do something that Kylo would despise you for, you had lured him into an illusion of serenity and love.