[ f i f t e e n ]

f i f t e e n
p a n i c a t t a c k

AMELIA AND SCOTT WERE LOOKING AT EACH OTHER INTENSELY

The girl moved her pawn, eating Scott's knight. The guy exhaled before moving his queen, not noticing that it was a trap and that in one move, the girl could win.

"Checkmate," the girl said after she moved the pawn. "And that'd be?"

"Fifteen against zero," replied the werewolf as she wrote it down on her notebook. "Do we really have to do this in the middle of the woods?"

Stiles, Scott and Amelia were sitting on a tree with the chessboard placed on top of a fallen tree. While Stiles was observing them, Amelia and Scott were playing.

"The idea is to control your mental state with your physical state," explained Stiles, "and according to Amelia, this helps a lot."

Classes had been suspended till Monday due to the fact that there was a body missing, and the police didn't want to take the chance of a kid finding it.

"Chess is about thinking three steps ahead. It's about tactics and gameplays," Amelia tried to explain, but Scott simply wouldn't get it. "Think of it as... lacrosse."

"This has nothing to do with lacrosse," argued Scott as he placed his pieces again.

"In lacrosse, you have different game plays, ways that the players move in order to get the ball to the net. This is the same thing. It just requieres practice."

"It's just that I don't get it. I'm terrible at it."

"That's because you aren't connecting your mental state to you physical state. This is what is going to help you control your urge to kill, to see three steps ahead," said Stiles.

"This is what helped me find you guys at the school," explained Amelia. "Before, finding a werewolf was complicated. Smells would mix and sounds would start interrupting. With this, now I can focus. I found you guys because I focused on your smell, on the sounds you made, Scott. Chess helps me focus and be better at battle. There's no use for you to have powers if you don't know how take advantage of them."

"I thought that was the reason of the heart monitor," interrupted Scott.

"No, that's for you not to change anytime you get angry. Chess... is for you to know how to use your powers when you are in werewolf form. For you to control your anger, for you to stop letting your bloodlust control you and actually be Scott while you are changed."

Scott nodded. "Okay, I think I get it. If I'm good at chess then I'll have control of what I do, and have control of my powers."

"Exactly," the girl said. "You'll be the master of the board." The girl moved again before smiling. "Checkmate."

"How's that possible? You've been talking the entire time!" Amelia smiled.

"Practice, Scott. You have to be able to do stuff at the same time. Don't get stress, it took me a night locked in the school to understand what my father was trying to teach me."