Shattered Part II - 15

As Kat and I are driving towards Nina's place it starts raining. Not just the light kind either. The type that makes you want to pull over until it passes.

Slowing down I take a corner slowly as we drive down it. "Kat, I'm not sure that it's a good idea that we drive back home. Do you know someone that lives close to where Nina lives?"

"Yes," she pulls her phone out of her bag. "I'll get Bas, to call his Grandmother. The vineyard is like 5 minutes down the road from Nina's."

"Great, at least I'll feel comfortable driving that distance than the half an hour we've driven to get here."

At the bottom of the hill, I hit an oil slick and the car slides across the road. "Fuck," letting my foot off the gas I let the car do what it does.

While this is happening my sister is on the phone with her husband. "What's happening?" Sebastian yells through the phone.

Kat: We hit an oil slick after we got off the mountain.

Sebastian: Stay there. I'll send someone to get you.

The car comes to a save stop on the opposite side of the road.

My heart his hammering against my chest and I turn towards my older sister. "Kat, are you okay?"

"Yes, I am. What about you?"

"I'm fine. I just need a couple of minutes before I can drive again."

Kat: You don't need to send someone to us. We're going to get our sister. Can you call Evelyn and let her know that we're coming to the vineyard.

Sebastian: I can do that for you. Are you and Eliza okay?

Kat: We're shaken up, but fine.

Sebastian: I'll call you after I talk to Grandma. I love you.

Kat: Love you more.

Sebastian hangs up the phone.

My hands are shaking from the accident and I take a couple of deep breaths before pulling the car back onto the road and heading to my sister's place.

Nina had to call us while it was raining in the area. I can't believe how dangerous it is to be out here. Especially, on this road.

Kat looks over at me. "Do you want to see a Doctor tonight? Just to get a check-up from the accident?

I'm not sure what I want to do.

"I can call Evelyn's one. She makes home visits all the time and she even carries a baby monitor for cases like this."

"If she's going to look over you then she can do the same to me."

A smile spreads across her face. "I'll organise for her to come over." Kat taps a few keys on the phone and she puts the call on loudspeaker and waits for the Dr to pick up.

Dr: Hello,

The Dr sounds very tired.

Dr: This is Dr Willis.

Kat: Hey, Steph. It's Kat. I know it's late, but my sister and I need you.

Steph: Where are you staying?

Kat: At Evelyn's.

Steph: I'll bring the machine. Is your sister pregnant too?

Kat: Yes,

Steph: What happened for you to want to be looked over?

Kat: We had a car accident and we're shaken up and...