Shattered Part II - 36

After Chad left the office Kat gives me a bunch of papers. "I want you to give those people a call and reschedule the appointments he has for today. Also, the on-site meeting will still go ahead. Knowing Chad he won't skip that. Don't worry about giving the Jessup's a call."

Looking over the list I pick up the phone and start calling the people on the list. Some of them didn't mind being rescheduled while others weren't too impressed, but I'm sure he'll be able to make them reconsider leaving whatever they wanted to talk to him about.

When I finish making the calls my phone goes off and I look at it. There's a message from Chad.

Katrina looks up from her computer and she says. "Who's texting you?"

"Chad,"

She picks up the phone and put's it on the loudspeaker. The phone rings a couple of times before the female answers.

Female Voice: Hello, this is Gail Whitehall.

Katrina: Hey, Mrs Whitehall. Is everything okay? Chad told us that there was an emergency at your place.

Gail: My husband was feeling too good and he fell onto the floor. I couldn't help him to bed and Chad was the only person that I could call.

Katrina: I hope he's not seriously hurt after the fall.

Gail: I checked him over and there isn't anything there. Tomorrow there could be bruising, but I'm not entirely sure.

Katrina: I hope he gets better, soon. I'll drop by tomorrow to see you.

Gail: You don't have to do that, Katrina.

Katrina: Yes, I do. You and Mr Whitehall have been welcoming to me since I was nineteen and you've done the same thing with my sister.

Gail: Looks like I can't stop you from coming over then. We'll see you tomorrow. Bye, Kat.

Katrina: Bye, Gail.

Katrina hangs up the phone. She looks at the phone that still in my hand. "What did he want?"

Shrugging I look at the message. "I didn't have a chance to look at it."

Opening the message I look at it.

Chad: Hey, Eliza. When you come in tomorrow I want you to meet me in my office. We have a few things to talk about.

"Chad wants me to meet him in his office when I come into work tomorrow. Does this usually happen? Where you come to work and you're supposed to go to the office? Because it's been like that for me today and tomorrow."

She shakes her head. "No, that never happens. I'd do what he wants though. You can never upset your boss. Can you remind him about me not being in the office until after 11 am tomorrow?"

"Sure, I can let him know. Do you think he'd forget that you have an appointment tomorrow? He seems to be pretty good when it comes to knowing our schedules."

She throws her head back and laughs. "That's a nice way to put it."

Me: Yes, Mr Whitehall. Don't forget Kat won't be in the office until after 11 am. She's got a doctor's appointment.

Chad: I haven't forgotten. Thanks for the reminder though. When's your next appointment?

He's wondering when my next appointment is? Why?

Me: It's in a couple of weeks. I'll give you two weeks notice. That way you'll be able to add it to your ledger.

Chad: Okay,

Putting my phone on silent I slip it into my bag and continue working on the computer.

***

At 4 pm, I look over at my sister as she's shutting down her computer. Standing up I pick my bag off the floor. "Can I pick the kids up from school? I want to take them out for ice cream and a play at the park. Then maybe dinner after that?"

A smile spreads across my sister's face and she says. "Are you sure? Because it's been a long time since we've last had a date night without the kids being around."

"Yes, I am. I've never had the opportunity to take them out and spoil them. Now, that I'm living close to you I get to do stuff like that with my niece and nephew." I lead the way to the elevator and hit the button.

Lisa and a few people walk over to the elevator at the same time. She flips her hair over her shoulder. "What are you two skipping out on the rest of the day? Aren't you supposed to work until the boss is ready to go home?"

Kat steps forward and looks her in the eyes. "You know you're so close to getting fired, but Chad wants to follow the working code to the letter T. You've got two crosses against your name?"

She crosses her arms and leans against the man that's with her. "How do I have two? Chad gave me one today?"

"Sexual misconduct and Bullying. They're two offences that you've done while here and if you say or do anything to my sister that will be strike three. I'm waiting for that moment I get to say 'Bye, Bye, Lisa. You know I can't stand you."

The lift door opens and I pull my sister in with me. Looking between the two I say. "I wouldn't follow us into the elevator if I were you." I press the button for the basement and it takes us down.

When we get to the basement we walk to our cars. "We'll be back at 7 pm. I know you want the kids in bed at a decent hour."

She throws the bag into the car, before moving over to me. She wraps her arms around me. "Thanks, Eliza." She steps away from me. "I better get to the shops and make something amazing for my husband. Before I forget here's the car seats." She pulls out two car seats and puts them into the car for me.

"Thanks, sis." Climbing into the car I throw my purse onto the seat next to me.

Kat jumps into her car and pulls out of the parking spot. I follow closely behind her and once we get to the exit I turn in the opposite direction to her. Heading towards the daycare.

When I get to the daycare I park my car and climb out. I head towards the entrance of the brick building. Opening the door I enter the building. There's a table at the entrance, that has a sign-in book. Picking up the pen I sign out my niece and nephew. I enter their room and see them sitting together.

Logan is the first to see me. He stands up and runs over to me. "Aunty Liz," He wraps his arms around my legs.

"Hello, Logan. Are you ready to get some ice cream and then play at the park until dinner?"

"Yes," He smiles at me and shows his baby teeth off. "Mia, we're getting ice cream." Logan starts bouncing around and it makes me laugh.

The teacher approaches me and tells me how the kids went during the day. I thank her before grabbing their bags and heading to my car. At the car, I put them in their car seats, before rounding the car and climbing into the driver's seat.

 At the car, I put them in their car seats, before rounding the car and climbing into the driver's seat