Shattered Part II - 99

During the night I hear a steady beep coming from the machine Mom's hooked up to. I listen to it as I fall asleep in my husbands arms.

I can't believe I'm a married woman now. I have everything I've ever wanted. A husband, a child, a family and a career that I love.

Having a number of jobs to do is what makes things interesting for me. I was getting bored with doing the one thing. Now, I get to work for myself as an accountant. Help my husband when he needs it and I'll be helping Kat with the Vineyards.

Ding, my phone alerts me to a message and I look at the phone. I see "Nina" flash across the screen. Opening the message I read it.

Nina: Eliza, I'm sorry about what happened at the wedding. I don't think you're being selfish. I just...

Nina: I don't want to take sides against Chloe and you. Chloe has been there for me the last couple of months. And you haven't.

Nina: Please forgive me for not standing up for you.

Me: You don't need to apologise, Nina. I know you were trying to keep Chloe happy.

Nina: That's no excuse. You helped me when no-one else did. Kat and you saved me.

Me: That's what family do. I'll be in touch with news about Mom.

Nina: Do you think she will be gone today?

Me: I'm not sure. Right now her heart is beating at a steady rhythm. That's what counts.

Nina: Okay.

Nina: Have a good night. I'll drop by tomorrow to see my niece.

Me: We look forward to seeing you.

Nina: Goodnight.

Me: Goodnight.

Another text message comes through and it's Kat.

Kat: How is Mom doing?

Me: She's asleep.

Kat: Of course she is. What else?

Me: Her heart beat is steady. We know that can change at any time.

Kat: Keep me informed. The moment something happens message me. Or get Chad too?

Me: Okay,

Kat: How is my niece doing?

Me: She's asleep.

Moving over to the crib I take a photo of her and send it to Kat.

Me: What do you think of this photo?

Kat: She's adorable. Just like her mother. I can't wait for you three to come home. I'll be over there as much as I can.

Me: You need to be taking care of your little one too.

Kat: I will be. The cousin's will have a best friend growing up. Just like you and I.

Me: That's the best gift we could give them. See you tomorrow.

Kat: Of course you will. Goodnight. I love you.

Me: Goodnight. I love you.

Chad opens his eyes and looks at my phone. "Who were you talking to?"

"Kat and Nina." I put my phone on the nightstand. "I can't wait to go home with you and sleep in our king sized bed." Turning around on the bed I face my husband. "Then you pull me into your embrace."