Shattered Part II - 74

Chad's driver pulls the car into the parking lot of Whitehall Industries. As we're driving through an announcement comes over the radio. "Over the weekend there was a fire in Club XXX. The body of Brayden O'Keefe has been discovered and other members of the cartel. Further details are unknown. If you know anything about it please come forward."

Fuck, I hope no one saw what Chad did.

The driver's eyes clash with mine and he asks. "Is everything okay, Miss Donoghue?"

I plaster a fake smile on my face. "It's fine. I just wasn't expecting to hear something like that on the radio this morning."

He nods. "I understand. Is this the first time you've heard the news since Saturday?"

"Yeah," my face slightly turns red. "I've been really busy and haven't had the chance to catch up with what's happening in the outside world."

He laughs. "For a moment I thought you knew what happened to this guy. However, you seem like an innocent woman that would never know what's happening. That's what I like about you. You let Chad do what he wants and never ask questions. That's what a good wife does for her husband."

It sounds like he knows the type of man that Chad is and maybe he could put two and two together and figure out that it was Chad that killed this guy.

When the car comes to a stop I grab my stuff and climb out. "Thanks for the ride." I hurry over to the lift and press the button. I wait for the doors to open before stepping inside.

I have to tell Chad about this guy. I don't think I've ever had him before, but at least he got me safely to work.

The lift opens on the top floor and I hear an angry voice yell. "IF IT WASN'T YOU THAT PICKED UP ELIZA. WHERE THE FUCK IS SHE?"

So, the man that picked me up wasn't supposed to be the driver from the Therapists office. Why didn't I think something was amiss before? I started to realise something was wrong when we pulled into the parking lot.

Slowly, I make my way towards Chad's office. He turns towards the window and relief washes over his features. "Never mind," his voice is at a loud level, but he's a lot calm seeing me. "She just walked through the door. We're going to find out who took her. Security needs to step up from this afternoon. I don't want anyone near her except me."

Kat drops the phone into the receiver and runs over to me. She hugs me and whispers. "For the last ten minutes, he's been going out of his mind. His driver was attacked before he could pick you up from the therapist office."

"I figured that."

She frowns and looks me over. Making sure I'm not hurt. "How did you figure that out? Did something happen while you were in the car?"

"Let's talk in Chad's office. I don't want to repeat myself half a dozen times." Holding my sister's hand I pull her into Chad's office with me.

Hanging up the phone he rounds the table and hugs me. "I got off the phone with the driver. He told me that he got hit over the head with something and when he woke up he was on the side of the road without his car. When he came through he called me because he was worried about you."

"When I got out of the car just now I knew something wasn't right, Chad. The partition window was up until we got into the parking lot here. The guy pulled it down..."

Fuck, I can't say everything that happened in the car while my sister is here. There's a lot of things she doesn't know and she shouldn't know.

Chad kisses my temple. "You don't need to talk about it now."

"He made me feel uncomfortable. His eyes were on me until I got into the lift. Whoever he probably wants to talk to you. That's why he did what he did."

"I'm sure he does." He rubs his hand across his face. "I'm going to see if he's still around. He needs to know that it isn't appropriate for him to hurt my men and take the woman I love for a ride to the office and scare her."

"Chad," Kat says. "Why don't you get the police involved? He took my sister without consent. At least he drove her straight to the office without a detour. Something worse could have happened and you're worried about him being in the parking lot still."

Turning towards my sister I place my hands on her arms. "He has to go down there, sis. The only person that's able to make sure this stuff doesn't happen again is Chad. Please, leave it alone?"

The phone starts to ring and Kat curses before running out of the room to answer it. She picks up the phone and talks to the person on the other end.

"What were you going to say before you cut yourself off?"

"When we pulled into the parking lot he pulled the partition window down as the announcement of Brayden O'Keefe's death came across the radio. I was shocked at hearing about it on the radio." I put on a male accent and tell him word for word what he told me. "For a moment I thought you knew what happened to this guy. However, you seem like an innocent woman that would never know what's happening. That's what I like about you. You let Chad do what he wants and never ask questions. That's what a good wife does for her husband."

Chad shakes his head. "Everything I do. You're going to know about it because if I go too far I know you'll pull me back from the edge. I'm going to the parking lot. Stay here with your sister and if anyone comes looking for me tell them that I'm out."

"Okay," I hug him once more before he walks out the door.

As he walks past Kat I hear him say something, which he shakes his head too. He continues on his way without turning back towards my sister.

A couple of minutes later, I walk out of the office to face my sister. I take a seat behind the desk and start working on some files that Chad left for me.

Kat throws the headset onto the table and turns towards me. "Ever since your date the two of you have been acting weird. Are you going to tell me what's going on? Or are you going to keep it a secret?"

Turning my eyes on her I say. "Some things are best left alone. If it was important we would have told you about it." With that said I turn away from her and start working.

A woman walks onto the floor wearing a black skirt and a white button-up blouse. A smile spreads across her face. "Hello," she politely says. "I'm looking for Chad Whitehall. I have an interview with him about a new position available in accounting."

Holding my hand out I say. "I'm Eliza Donoghue. That position that you're filling will be with my company. Let's go to the conference room and you can tell me all about yourself."

"