Shattered Part II - 28

Chad pulls the car into the driveway of the vineyard. We follow the path until we park in front of Evelyn's house.

The front door opens and Kat steps outside. She has a crutch under her arm. "What are you doing here?"

"Bas called." Chad moves towards the door. "He told us that you were calling out for your sister."

"Shit," she shakes her head. "I didn't mean to ruin your plans, Chad. I thought you were spending time here."

"Don't worry about it, Kat. Besides, I need your help finding something to wear. Chad wants to take me out for dinner tonight."

She squeals. "Oh My God, that's great news. You're moving on from Austin too by letting someone else take you on a date. Let's go inside and look for something." She uses the crutch and we head into the house.

Turning towards Chad I ask. "What time do you want me ready?"

"Seven," Chad walks into the house and heads towards the kitchen where we hear voices.

Kat looks towards the stairs and she groans. "How the hell am I supposed to get up these stairs." She looks down the hall and yells. "Bas, I need your help up the stairs, honey."

Sebastian hurries down the hall and looks at his wife. "Why do you need to go upstairs?"

She looks at me and says. "Because my little sister has a date and wants me to help her look for something to wear."

A smile spreads across his face. "Chad finally grew some balls and asked you out. Is this a real date or a friends one?"

"It's friends having dinner. I'm not ready for anything more. You know I got out of a messy situation with Austin and that's not going to be an easy fix. Especially, with me carrying his baby." I walk up the stairs and head towards my bedroom.

When I get to my bedroom I go through my suitcase and pull a couple of outfits together. Putting them on the bed.

Kat is placed on the bed and she looks at the stuff I have on it. She shakes her head. "I don't think any of these are going to work. Let's go to my room and I'll show you something that's going to perfect for you." She uses the crutches and leads the way to the room. When we get to her room she opens the closet and pulls out a beautiful one-shouldered black dress. It has a slit on one side.

Taking the dress from her I say. "It's perfect. Where did you find it? I want something like this for myself."

"I'll take you to the store next weekend. We'll go on a shopping spree. I need to buy new clothes for the kids and get some new stuff for myself."

***

Chad pulls the car in front of a restaurant called "Burlesque," he steps out of the car and rounds it before opening the door for me.

The building is brick and there's a red door for us to enter through. The sign is pink and it stands out against the night lights.

Looking through the window I see there are candles on the table and music playing.

Chad opens the door to the restaurant and we enter. A lady is waiting behind the table. She's wearing a purple wig with a corset and mini skirt that's attached to a small belt.

She smiles at Chad and says. "Welcome to Burlesque. I'm Candy. You're waiter this evening. Do you have a booking?"

Chad's about to open his mouth when a guy wearing a suit walks over. "Chad, is that you man?"

"Yes, it is, Mikah. I'm glad you got my message about me bringing a date here."

Mikah's face falls and he says. "I didn't get your message. I was grabbing a drink when I saw you." He turns towards me. "So, this is the girl you've been vying over for so long?"

Vying? Why would he use a word like that?

Holding my hand out to him I say. "I'm Eliza. It's nice to meet you."

"Mikah, you're as beautiful as I've been told. Both Sebastian and Chad talked about you a lot while they were here with Kat before, during and after Kat married Sebastian. She was the perfect addition to the duo. When it comes to being friends with Chad and Sebastian it's not easy, but they made sure there was room for me too."

Oh, I bet they did. They must have broken a lot of girls hearts too.

Mikah looks at Candy and says. "I'll personally take care of these two. I don't want anyone to interrupt us." He leads us through the restaurant and to the side room where there's a private stage with a pile on it.

A girl is dancing on it and she smiles as we enter the room. "Hey, Mikah." She waves at him and his face turns a bit red.

I think he has a crush on this girl and I know for a fact she has one on him.

Leaning across the table I say to Mikah. "You both like each other. You should do something before she gets snapped up."

He shakes his head. "No, I can't ask her out. She's one of my best dancers and that would cause a lot of conflict for me when she dances."

"Or you can give her the stability she needs. Don't waste the time you have. You never know when your time is up."

"Ellie, get over here. I want you to meet a friend and his girl."

Ellie picks up the robe that's close to her and puts it on. Her face is flush from the dancing. She has a small petite frame and her blonde hair curls around her shoulders and face. "Hi," she breathlessly says as she approaches the table. Turning towards her boss she says. "That's the first time I've ever heard you call my name."

A smile spreads across his face. "I've tried being professional when it comes to you, but I'm finding it harder and harder every time you walk in here."

"Are you firing me?"

"No," he shakes his head. "I'm not that mean. I want to ask you on a date? Would that be fine with you?"

Ellie looks over at me, trying to see if it's a joke, but I give her a slight nod, letting her know that he's serious about what he's asking. "Yes, I'd like that a lot."

"Good," Mikah gives her a genuine smile. "Get dressed and come back here. I want you to have dinner with us."

"Yes, sir." She rushes through the door and heads towards the change rooms.

"She seems like a great girl. Don't mess up with her, Mikah."

The door to the room opens and Candy comes in. "Do you want a show?"

Standing up I move towards the door. "Give me a call when the show is over." I kiss Chad's cheek before moving over to the door.

As I'm about to walk out I hear Mikah say. "Send Charlie in. I want her to take our food and drink order."

"Okay," she slides the robe down her arms and shimmies it, trying to gain the guy's attention. "What about the show?"

"That's not going to happen," Chad says. "My girlfriend and I don't want to see one tonight."