Shattered Part II - 97

Chad's POV

Seb and I finish decorating the room. He looks over at me and says. "I'll wait outside for the priest. You should talk to Mom before the ceremony starts. I'm sure there's a few things she'd like to say." With that he opens the door to the room and walks out. He closes the door behind him.

Mrs Donoghue looks over at me from the bed. "He's right I would like a word with you. It's nothing bad."

I move over to her side and take her hand. "Thank you for letting me into your home and giving me a family. I haven't seen what a family could be like until yours."

A slight smile appears on her face. "I should be the one to thank you, Chad. Without you my daughter wouldn't have been able to heal. Especially, after the way Austin treated her. The one thing he did right was give that girl a daughter of her own. So, thank you for taking on a responsibility that..."

Holding my hand up I say. "I would do anything for the woman I love and the child that I'm claiming as mine. They will have everything they need. Love, support and most importantly someone who will be there for them no matter what."

"I'm glad to hear it. When I'm gone Eliza is going to need you more than ever. Please, treat her well. If she needs help, get it for her. Don't hesitate. My daughter won't accept it straight away, but over time she will be grateful that she got it."

"I promise." The door to the room opens and Seb steps inside with the priest.

"Jack, it's good to see you again." I shake the priests hand. "Thanks for coming at the last minute to do this."

He smiles. "You're welcome. During the week I'd like you to come into the church and sign the paperwork."

"Eliza and I won't need a marriage certificate. We're going to have a big wedding next year at the church. Would you be able to do that ceremony?"

"Yes, I can do that. What date would you like?" He pulls out a black leather pocketbook from his pocket. I'll add it to the diary when I get back to the office."

"I'm not sure of the date. Can Eliza and I get back to you?"

"Sure," he closes the book and puts it away. "Are we waiting on anyone else?"

The door opens and in walks Eliza's siblings. They stand around the room and we wait for Eliza to walk into the room.

Knock, knock.

Looking at the door I say. "Who is it?"

The door opens again revealing my parents. Mom and Dad have a smile on their faces. "You didn't think we wouldn't show up for the wedding of our son?"

"How?"

Mom looks over at my best friend. "Seb called me. Told me that my son was marrying the woman of his dreams. I couldn't miss this opportunity. How many times will my son marry this one?"

"TWICE," a smile spreads across my face. "Mrs Donoghue isn't doing well and..." I cut myself off.

"I'm dying," Mrs Donoghue says. "I won't be here when Eliza and Chad get married. They thought it would be good to include me in it this time."

Mom moves over to the bed. "I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything we can do?"

"No," she shakes her head. "Your son has done everything he can."

Kat opens door and walks in. She's wearing a modest long red dress, black heels and her hair is piled on top of her head. Looking over at her husband she mouths. 'I love you.'

My best friend and his wife are sappy.

Kat moves over to Aspen and picks her up. She carries her niece over to the bed and sits next to her mother.

Mrs Donoghue looks at Aspen. "You're a beautiful little girl. I love you, little one."

A song starts playing from Kat's phone and I recognise it as 'Marry You' by Bruno Mars. She starts singing along to the lyrics.

The door opens revealing Mr Donoghue. He's wearing trousers and a white t-shirt. His arm is threaded through Eliza.

Eliza steps into the room wearing a white gown that hugs her figure perfectly. A slit up the leg, showing off her toned legs. She smiles at me as her eyes land on mine. 'I love you' she mouths. As she takes another step closer to me.

Mr Donoghue places her hand in mine. "Take care of my beautiful girl, Chad."

"I will." I promise my soon to be father-in-law. Turning my attention to Eliza I say. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks, you look great in the suit. Too bad we can't do anything tonight." She winks at me.

"We have all the time in the world. Once you come home with me. You'll be all mine." I whisper into her ear.

She slaps my arm. "Behave, now we should pay attention to the priest. I don't think he'd appreciate us continuing having a private moment before he gets on with the ceremony."

Jack looks around the room at everyone. Before he looks at the book in his hands. "Welcome, loved ones. We are gathered here today to join Eliza and Chad in holy matrimony."

Eliza looks at me as I say the vow. "Eliza, I promise to cherish you always, to honour and sustain you, in sickness and health, in poorness and richness, and to be true to you in all things until death alone shall part us."

It's Eliza's turn to give the vow exchange and I see her hands form fists and then let's it go. She looks at me as she says. "Chad, I promise to cherish you always, to honour and sustain you, in sickness and health, in poorness and richness, and to be true to you in all things until death alone shall part us."

We exchange the rings. "With this ring I, Chad take you, Eliza, to be no other than yourself. Loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know, I will respect your integrity and have faith in your abiding love for me, through all our years, and in all that life may bring us." I slip the ring onto her finger.

She does the same to me. "With this ring I, Eliza, take you, Chad , to be no other than yourself. Loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know, I will respect your integrity and have faith in your abiding love for me, through all our years, and in all that life may bring us." Eliza slides the ring onto my finger.

"By the power vested in me by the state of Los Angeles, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

"Thank God." I pull her flush against me and kiss her in front of our family and friends. It takes a couple of minutes before I pull away from Eliza. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Eliza walks over to our daughter and picks her up. "Kat, can you take a picture of our family?"

"Sure," she takes a picture of us before taking photos of us with Mrs Donoghue.

This night is going to be the one we remember for a long time to come.