Shattered Part II - 10

The next morning there's a knock on the pool house door. I open my eyes and look at the Amazon hub next to me. "Alexa, what's the time?"

"It's 8:00 am, good morning," Alexa replies. 

Standing up I head out of the room to the sliding door of the pool house. My sister is standing on the other side with a cup in her hand and a blueberry muffin.

A smile spreads across Kat's face. "Morning, sis. I brought you a hot chocolate and blueberry muffin."

Taking it from her I say. "Thanks, this smells wonderful."

"I know," she places her hand in her stomach and says. "I had cravings for blueberry muffins and I made 24 this morning. Cravings is the worst part of being pregnant. Well for me it is anyway. I'm not sure you've had any cravings, yet. If you do get it, you won't be satisfied until you eat what you're craving."

I hope I don't get cravings for anything. I don't have anyone to run to the shops for me if I do.

Kat looks at my face and she pulls me into a hug. "My husband and I will be here to help you get anything you want sis. Even if it's at 3 am. When I was pregnant with Logan Sebastian had to run to McDonald's for a thick shake for me at all hours of the night. The best thing about McDonald's around here is that it's open 24 hrs. I feel bad for the poor suckers who are left with the night shift."

Me, too. But, someone needs to do the graveyard shift.

Sebastian rounds the corner wearing a suit. He walks up to his wife and kisses her. "I was looking for you, baby. You look edible this morning."

She laughs. "Thanks," pulling slightly away from him. "Do you have plans for lunch?"

He's quiet for a moment. "I'm not sure. If I do I'll cancel it so I can spend time with you. Also, I think it's a good idea that I check up on Chad."

"Why would you need to check up on your friend? Is something going on with him?"

"Yes,"

I close the door behind me, leaving them to discuss Chad.

I don't want to know confidential information about my boss. If he wants to talk to me about it he can.

It's quiet outside the pool house and then I hear Kat yell. "Bye, Eliza. Have fun exploring the city."

"Bye, Kat. Have fun at work." Taking a drink of the hot chocolate I take a seat at the counter and eat my blueberry muffin.

After breakfast, I head to my bedroom and grab my clothes from the closet I place them on the bed before heading into the bathroom to have a shower.

I adjust the temperature of the shower before climbing in. I wash my hair and body before climbing out and wrapping a towel around my body.

Heading to the bedroom I put on my underwear, skirt and t-shirt that I left on my bed. I walk out of the bedroom and grab my purse off the kitchen counter.

I pull my phone out of the bag and look for the closest mall. When I find the address I add it to the maps and head out to the car.

Starting the engine I put the car in reverse, before putting it drive and head towards the gate.

When I get to the gate the security guy in the booth hits the button and the gate opens for me. "Thanks, Charleston. See you later."

I follow the directions of the maps on the iPhone. As I turn around a corner I hear a pop and pull the car over.

Stepping out of the car I look at tyres and see the front drivers one flat.

This sucks.

Looking around I don't see any cars on the road. I pull my phone out of my bag and there's no reception.

Shit. I'm going to have to do this myself.

Going to the trunk of the car I pull out the wheel brace and car jack. I place them next to the car before pulling the spare tyre. Lifting it over the trunk I put it on the ground and wheel it to the front of the car.

Just as I'm about to loosen the wheel nut a car pulls over and a male steps out. He walks over to me and says. "Can I help you?"

That voice sounds familiar.

Looking up I see Chad. He's wearing a suit and BMW keys are hanging from his fingers. "Eliza?" He asks as he stops next to me.

A smile spreads across my face. "Hey, Chad. What are you doing over this side of the city?"

"My office is a couple of blocks from here. I usually take this way for the office. I love the scenery. When I saw the car pulled over to the side I thought I'd ask if you needed help."

"Sure, I could use some help. Do you know how to change a flat tyre?"

"Of course I do." He kneels next to the wheel and loosens the wheel nuts. It doesn't take him long to put the new wheel on the car. "You should go to Teller's Automotive. They'll give you a new tyre for a spare. I'll call ahead to let them know I'm sending a friend over."

"Thanks, Chad."

He smiles at me. "You're welcome. Also, you should get a new car. That one a death trap." Chad opens the car door and waits for me to climb in.

Putting the key into the ignition I turn it and put the car in drive. I leave Chad on the side of the road.

While driving through the city I come across the automotive place that Chad was telling me about. I pull into the parking lot.

Before I can step foot out of the car a guy is standing next to me with overalls on and his name is stitched on it. It says. 'Kris.'

"I got a phone call from a friend that said you were going to stop by. "Pop, the trunk and I'll put the spare in."

Getting out of the car I put the key into the trunk and open it.

Kris puts the spare into the trunk and he shuts it.

My phone starts to ring. Looking at it I see my sister's name flash across the screen.

Me: Hey, Kat.

Kat: Are you okay? Chad told me about the car.

Me: I'm fine. If Chad wasn't driving down the hill at the time I still would have been able to change the tyre by myself. Dad taught me a few things with the car.

Kat: Chads having a car brought round this afternoon. It's a company car that he wants you to use.

Me: How many company cars are available?

Kat: I don't know. I don't talk to him about things like that.

Me: I should go. I'm about to go to the mall.

Kat: Great, pick yourself up a nice dress while you're there. We're going to the country club on the weekend with my husband.

 We're going to the country club on the weekend with my husband