Shattered Part II - 93

April

Another contraction hits me as Chad drives me toward the hospital and I scream in pain. I can't believe it's happening early my daughter is wanting to come into the world a month earlier than her due date. "How long until we get to the hospital, Chad?"

"Another fifteen minutes, but with the amount of traffic on the road it's going to take longer."

Sweat begins pouring off my face. "I don't want to have the baby in the car, Chad. She's supposed to be born in the hospital." A contraction kicks in again and I have a feeling that my daughter can't wait until we're in the hospital to come out.

Fuck it.

Undoing my seatbelt I lift my body slightly up and pull my underwear off. Looking at my fiance I say. "I don't think she's going to wait. Pull the car to the side of the road and help me to the backseat."

Chad puts his indicator on and turns into the emergency lane. He helps me out of the front seat and places me in the back. Grabbing his phone he calls 911. He puts it on the loudspeaker.

Voice: 911 What's your emergency?

Chad: My fiance. She's having a baby on the side of the road.

Voice: Which road are you on?

Chad: We're on Route 170. There's a traffic jam. We were on the way the Cedar Senai Hospital.

Voice: I'll send someone to your location. Can you stay on the line with me until someone gets there?

Chad: Yes, I can.

"Aagh, " I scream as I feel pressure where my pussy is. It feels kike I'm going to split in half. "Chad, " I whimper. "Is she here yet?"

He looks between my legs. "Her head is crowning. On the next contraction push. Do you think you can wait a minute while I grab something to wrap her in before she comes?"

"You better hurry, Chad. I don't think she's going to wait much longer."

Chad opens the bag that's in the car and he pulls out the towel that I had packed into the hospital bag. He moves back towards me. "When you're ready push."

I feel another contraction and push. It takes about ten minutes before my daughter is in the world. Holding my breath I wait for her to cry and when I don't hear it, Chad takes her from me and looks at her. He clears her mouth before rubbing her body.

Slowly it happens a small cry happens.

Thank God.

Chad turns towards me with our daughter in his arms. A smile spreads across his face. "Here's our girl." He moves towards me and extends his arms ready for me to take her from him.

I'm about to reach out for our girl but then my arms fall to the side and my eyes close. Darkness taking me away from my family.

***

Chad's POV

When the paramedics arrive I tell them what happened to Eliza after she gave birth. They transfer her from the back seat of the car to the ambulance. "How long has she been out of it?"

"Two minutes. What's happening to her?" My heart pounds against my chest as I watch the woman I love being hooked go machines.

The male paramedic looks at me. "We're not sure. You'll find out more when she sees a Doctor. We'll have to take the baby with us to get treated."

"I'm coming with you. I'm not letting my daughter go anywhere with a bunch of strangers." Holding my daughter close to me I step into the ambulance.

The siren blares as we race down route 170.

I need to call Eliza's family. They should know what's happening to their daughter and sister.

Pulling up Kat's name I call her. The phone rings a couple of times before she picks up.

Kat: What's up, Chad?

Me: Kat, my voice breaks at the end and she knows something is happening.

Kat: Chad, she starts to panic. What's going on? Is there something wrong with my sister?

Me: She had the baby.

Kat: That's great. When can we come and see her?

Me: I'm not sure.

Kat: Why are you calling me and not my sister?

Me: Something happened during the birth and she's not responsive.

Kat: FUCK, she yells. She begins to sob and then the phone is handed to someone else and I know that it's my best friend, Sebastian.

Seb: Chad you need to tell me everything from the beginning. That way I can calm my wife before we go to the hospital.

Me: Her water broke at home and she was complaining about it being too early for our daughter to arrive. We weren't ready for her to be here. We didn't get to have a baby shower either.

Seb: That's not what I want to know, Chad. Think clearly and forget about everything else for now.

Me: We were driving towards the hospital and she was in pain as the contractions hit her. When we got onto route 170 we were caught in traffic and she asked him to pull the car onto the side of the road and I did that. I moved her to the backseat where she gave birth to our daughter.

Seb: Okay, that all seems straightforward. What happened next?

Me: Our daughter came into the world and she wasn't crying.

Seb: Fuck, tell me you got her breathing?

Me: I cleared her throat and then started to rub her back. Faintly she begins to cry and relief washes over us. I had a smile on my face as I looked at Eliza. I was about to give her our daughter when her arms went limp and she blacked out.

Seb: Was there anything out of the usual? Like lots of blood on the car seat?

I don't know.

Me: I don't know, Seb. Please, stop asking me questions. Just get to the hospital. I have to call Mrs Donoghue.

Seb: Kat is on the phone with her mother now. I think her siblings are on the line too.

Damn it. I don't think Eliza's going to want everyone there.

However, I don't say that. Looking at the bundle of joy in my arms a smile spreads across my face. I can't help, but enjoy having this little girl in my arms.

Me: Seb, I have to go. I'll see you at the hospital. With that said I hang up the phone.

The paramedic looks over at me and says. "We're nearly at the hospital."

"Okay," looking over at Eliza her face is pale and her heart rate begins to go slower and then the machine starts going off.

The paramedic stands up and says to the driver. "She's crashing." He starts CPR on her and when that doesn't work he uses the machine and that brings her back.

Tears begin to fall and I start to worry for the future of this little one in my arms if her mother doesn't survive. "Eliza, please don't leave us. We need you." I whisper.

The car pulls in front of the hospital and Eliza is taken out and rushed into the hospital. I follow closely behind with my daughter.