Shattered Part II - 37

Pulling the car into the parking lot of the park I climb out and unbuckle the kids. Before holding their hands and crossing the parking lot with them.

As soon as we make it to the grass area I lock the car with the key and follow them over to the equipment.

There's slides, swings, a see-saw, a spinning carousel that has handles on it and monkey bars.

"Can you push me?" Mia says as she climbs onto the swing.

Moving over to the swing I see that it has a lock on it to keep kids safe when they use the swing. I strap Mia on before I start pushing her.

"Can you push me too?" Logan says as he climbs onto the second one.

I strap him in too and then I push both of them.

"Higher," they scream. I push them higher and they begin to laugh. I stop pushing them and wait for the swings to stop on their own.

An ice-cream van plays music from his car and I help the kids out of the swings. We head over to the parking lot where I get the kids Chocolate and vanilla ice cream. I get a choc top. Passing the cone to them they take it and stand next to me, while I pay for them.

After getting the ice cream we head over to the table and sit on it.

My phone starts ringing and I look at the caller ID. I see 'Chad' flash across the screen.

What does he want?

Picking up the phone I say. "Hey, Chad. What's going on?"

Chad: Where are you?

Me: I'm at the park. Why?

Chad: I need to see you.

Me: What's going on?

Chad: I can't tell you over the phone. This needs to be done face to face.

Me: Okay, we're at Chester Field.

Chad: I'll be there shortly. Bye,

Me: Bye,

Hanging up the phone I look at Mia and Logan who have ice cream all over their faces. I grab a napkin and start wiping their faces.

"Can we play now?" Logan asks.

"Sure," I watch as they run to the equipment and start climbing all over it. Standing up I move close to them and watch them like a hawk.

Logan points at the monkey bars. "Can you help me get across them?"

"Sure," I move over to him and help him get across them.

A bunch of sirens start approaching the area and I look towards the road and see the police, ambulance and fire emergencies speed by.

What the hell is going on?

It doesn't take too long before Chad is pulling into the car park and running over to us.

Looking at Logan I say. "Go over to your sister while I talk to Chad for a moment." I pull Chad away from the kids and turn towards him. "What's going on?"

He looks around the play area and lowers his voice. "There's a hostage situation going on not too far from here and you're sister sent me here to make sure you're safe."

"We are. Let me guess. You're here to take us back to my sister's place?"

"No," he shakes his head. "I'm going to have dinner with you and my bodyguards are going to keep us all safe."

"I don't need bodyguards to keep me safe. I've been doing that myself for years. When I was younger my father taught me how to use a gun with his military buddy, Frank."

Chad screws up his face as he tries to remember something. "Does he run a convenience store by any chance?"

A smile spreads across my face. "Yes, that's the one. He was sent here to keep an eye on my siblings. The only one that visits him all the time is Kat. She loves his store and I heard that she even brings him food from time to time."

"That sounds like something she'd do." He moves towards the kids and gets down to their level. "Hello, Mia. Logan. Do you want to have dinner with Aunty Eliza and me?"

"Yes," they bounce up and down. "Can we have McDonald's?"

Moving over to them I kneel to their height and say. "No, we're going to an Italian restaurant for pizza and pasta."

"No," Logan pouts. "I want a cheeseburger meal. Please, Aunty Eliza."

Mia's lip trembles as she looks at me. "Please," she crosses her fingers.

Damn, these kids know how to make me give in.

"Fine, but I'm getting some Italian food on the way. I feel like pizza and pasta."

Chad stands up. "I feel like the same as you. If we have leftovers can you bring them to work with you? We'll put it in the fridge I have in my office. I don't like sharing food with my employees. You're sister and you are the exception."

"Do you have bottles of water in your fridge?"

"Of course I do. It's topped up daily because I drink four to five bottles a day. When you need a drink just walk into my office. If I'm on the phone try not to make too much noise."

"Sure," I watch the kids as they continue to run around the playground.

At 6 pm, the bodyguards arrive at the park and they escort us to the waiting limo. I look over at the car. "I need to get the booster seats." Walking over to the car I unlock it and two bodyguards take it from the car."

A third bodyguard holds his hand out to me. "I'll take the car back to your place. I have a few other guards that will take my place while I'm gone."

Placing the keys onto his hand I say. "Okay, thanks for dropping the car off for me."

"You're welcome, Miss Donoghue. Enjoy your dinner with Mr Whitehall and the kids." He climbs into the car and drives away.

Walking over to the limousine I see the kids already buckled in and they have bottles of water in their hands. They're drinking from it.

Chad is standing outside the limo and holds the door open for me. "Get in the car. Then we can grab dinner."

Climbing into the car I sit next to the kids and start talking to them. My phone goes off and I pull it out of my purse. Looking at I see a message from my sister.

Katrina: Sorry, I had to get Chad to make sure you're safe.

Me: It's not a problem. How's the hostage situation going?

Katrina: It's an ongoing matter. I'm surprised you didn't check Facebook to see what's going on.

Me: When I'm with Mia and Logan I stay off my phone. Those kids need my full attention, besides you know how responsible I am with them.

Katrina: I'll see you when you get home. Have a nice night with Chad.

The car pulls away from the parking lot and heads towards the local Italian restaurant called "Rivera." It's one of the popular restaurants in the city.

That's what I've read anyway. The reviews for the place is five stars and that's something I look closely at when it comes to eating take-out.

 The reviews for the place is five stars and that's something I look closely at when it comes to eating take-out