Shattered Part II - 85

New Years Eve

Eliza's POV

Mom walks into my room with a bag. She places it on the bed and takes a seat next to me. "Honey, I bought you something the other day when I went shopping. I hope you'll wear it to tonight's party." She slides the bag towards me and a smile spreads across her face. "Go ahead. Look inside."

Opening the bag I pull the dress out and it's white with thin straps that will go across my shoulders. "It's beautiful. Thanks, Mom." I hug her. "You didn't have to buy it for me though."

She pulls away and looks into my eyes. "I know I didn't have to sweetheart, but if I don't make it to see your wedding. At least I get to see you in something white for what's happening tonight."

What does she mean by that? There's nothing special about tonight. Except that it's the end of the year and the beginning of next. Once midnight happens.

Knock, knock.

Looking at the bedroom door I say. "Who is it?"

The door opens slightly followed by. "It's me, Chad. Who else would need to enter the room?"

"Oh, I don't know." A smile spreads across my face. "Mom got me a new dress for tonight." I shove it back into the bag before he can see it.

"Are you going to show me the dress? Or do I have to wait until tonight?"

"You'll have to wait. I'm going to have a shower in a minute." I don't hear anything downstairs and say. "Have the caterers arrived yet?"

"Yes, they're downstairs. I told them how you want things set up." He moves towards the closet and grabs some clothes from it. "I'm going to get dressed in the spare room." He kisses me on the lips before he heads for the door. "I'll see you soon." Chad walks out of the room and closes the door behind him.

Mom stands up and kisses my cheek. "You should get ready, sweetheart. I'll see you soon." She walks out of the room.

Closing the door to the bathroom I start stripping out of my clothes and turn the shower on. I place my hand under the showerhead and make sure it's the temperature I like before stepping inside.

The water cascades over my body, getting to the places where I need the hot water the most. Especially my back as it's been sore for the last couple of hours. I grab the soap off the shelf and lather it into a washcloth before cleaning myself. I wash my hair before turning the water off and grabbing the towel off the rack.

Wrapping the towel around me I head to the bedroom and get dressed.

Once I'm dressed I head to the bedroom door and walk down the stairs. As I reach the bottom step Chad whistles. "You look beautiful." He holds his hand out to me and I take it.

"Thank you," I shyly said. "Where is everyone?"

"Outside, I wanted to be the one to meet you when you came down. Are you ready to see how everything turned out?"

A smile spreads across my face. "Sure, I need a drink anyway." We head through the hall towards the backyard.

When we reach the main door Chad opens it and waits for me to walk through. "You should mingle and I'll grab the drinks." Chad walks over to the bar close to the pool and gets us the drinks.

Looking around the yard I see Chad's parents talking to mine. I walk over to them. "Hello,"

Mom turns towards me and smiles. "Hey, Liz." Her eyes widen as she takes me in. She pulls me aside and whispers. "I hope I'll be here to see you in an actual wedding dress."

Me, too. For now, I'm not going to take my time with Mom for granted.

"You will," I whisper. "I'm hoping that you will be here for the birth of the new Grandchild that you'll have."

"If I'm not. I want you to tell them plenty of stories about me. They should also know that I love them." Mom places her hands on my stomach. Then whispers. "Nana loves you."

Chad walks over to us at that moment and says. "What's happening over here?" He hands the bottle of water. "Thanks,"

"I'm just telling my Grandchild that I love them."

He smiles at her. "I bet my child loves hearing you say that."

It warms my heart every time he tells someone that this child is his and not another man.

After our private conversation with Mom, we head back over to Chad's parents and we talk to them.

***

The night goes by quickly and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Me included. My back begins to hurt and I head towards the pool and sit on the pool chair. Well, lay on it more like it.

Looking into the sky I see the stars brightly and a shooting star shoots past. Closing my eyes I make a wish.

I just hope my wish comes true.

"Eliza," Chad whispers. "Where are you?"

"I'm on the pool chair." I turn my phone on so he can see.

"Ah, there you." He moves towards me. "Are you okay?"

"My back hurts a bit and I'm starting to get a headache. I don't want to ruin the night by disappearing up to my room. So sitting here was the only option."

He slides behind me and pulls me against him. "This will be the best spot to see the fireworks from."

Looking at the phone I see that there are five minutes until midnight hits and the new year will be upon us. "There are five minutes left until this year is over. What do you want to do in our final moments?"

He leans forward and claims my lips. "Kissing you is the last thing I want to do with this year. Next year we're going to kiss more often and you're going to become my fiancé. I don't want to wait another moment to make huge life decisions with you. I love you, Liz."

"I love you too, Chad." Closing my eyes I kiss him again. We don't pay attention to the time until we hear the count down from our guests. "10,"

"Shit," Chad stands up.

"9,"

"8,"

"7,"

"6,"

"5,"

"4," Chad puts his hand in his pocket and pulls out a box.

"3," He opens it, showing me a gorgeous princess cut diamond ring.

"2," He kneels in front of me.

"1,"

Bang, bang, bang. The fireworks go off overhead.

"Eliza, from the first moment I met you. I knew I wanted you to be my wife. Will you marry me?"

"Yes, thousand times yes."

He kisses me in front of our family and friends who have stopped what they were doing to watch us.

Mom and Kat are the first to congratulate us. Followed by Chad's family.

It was a perfect way to begin the new year. Getting engaged to the guy that owns my heart. I move my hand showing off the ring.

He chose the perfect ring for me.