Shattered Part II - 17

In the morning Kat's phone wakes me and she reaches across the nightstand and grabs her phone. She looks at it and says. "It's Sebastian.  He said Chad's sending a car for us and it should be here soon. Also, there's a driver that will be taking Nina to her old apartment. We should have something to eat before the drive back home."

Stretching I let out a yawn and say. "Okay,  but the moment we get home I'm going to bed. The bed here wasn't that comfy."

Kat smiles at me before pulling me into her arms. "I know how you feel. I'm going to give Chad a call."

The phone rings a couple of times before Chad answer.

Chad: Hello, Kat. Is everything okay?

Kat: I just want to thank you for organising a car to pick us up in.

Chad: You're welcome. I'd tell you to take the day off, but knowing you, you'll end up in the office during the day.

Kat: You're right about that. I'm going to rest for a bit before coming to work. Do you need me to call anyone to cover my shift?

Chad: No, I just got off the phone with my mother and she wants to help out here until you get here. She's also got Dad roped in to come here.

Kat laughs.

Kat: I can't believe she's still up to that trick. Bringing your father back to the company he once owned. Until he handed it down to you.

Chad: Then I'll hand it down to my children. Unlike my parents I want more than one to have control over it.

Kat: I don't think that's a good idea. One child is enough to take over a company. Someone needs to take charge of everything that happens in the office. That's why your parents gave you the company. They knew you were the right person for the job.

Another voice comes over the other end of the phone.

Voice: I couldn't have said it any better, Kat. I'll see you when you come on.

Kat: Yes, you will Mrs Whitehall.

Mrs Whitehall: How many times do I have to tell you to call me Gail?

Kat mouths to me. "Too many times."

I snort in the background.

Kat: Too many times, but my mother likes that I respect someone and call them by their last name.

Mrs Whitehall: I'm sure that counted when you were a child. Now you're an adult you should call someone what they want you to call them.

Kat: Okay, Gail. I'll see you after lunch.

Mrs Whitehall: Bye,

"Mom, I'll talk to you soon. I just need to tell Kat something."

"Okay, I'll be outside if you need anything." After that, the door closes.

Chad: Kat, I heard what happened last night and I want to know how both Eliza and you are doing?

Ah, he cares about us. He has a close relationship with my sister and her husband.

Kat looks over at me asking for permission to tell him how I'm doing.

It's been a long time since I've had someone care about me like this. Other than my family. It's nice to have a guy that I've spoken to a couple of times care about me, too.

Nodding my head I let her tell Chad about me, but first, she talks about herself.

Kat: I'm all good and so is my baby. I was a little shaken after the accident.

Chad: And Eliza?

A smile spreads across her face before she replies.

Kat: She's perfectly fine. Other than having shock from it and the baby is also good, but there was a confrontation with our sister that sent her blood pressure through the roof. Which means I need to keep our siblings away from her.

Chad: You seem to be caught in the middle of all this drama. How do you do it?

Kat: I don't put up with it. I've chosen a side to be on and it's Eliza's. If I wasn't on her side she'd have no one but our parents. The rest of our siblings were always a unit while Eliza and I were thick as thieves.

We're still thick as thieves and I don't think anyone will ever be able to break us apart.

There's a knock on the door and they wait until we say. "Come in." I'm the one that says it.

The door opens revealing Evelyn. " real fast is ready. Your sister has eaten and she's waiting in the sunroom for the two of you."

"Thanks, Evelyn. There's a driver that will be here shortly for her. Tell Nina to put her bag by the door and this person will collect her when Chad's car pulls upfront."

A smile spreads across Evelyn's face. "Chad sent a car?"

"Yeah, he did. Is it usual for him to do that?"

"No," she shakes her head and looks over at my sister who's still talking to Chad. "This is the first time that boy has done something like this. I think it has something to do with you."

Chad doesn't know me and he doesn't have to do this to impress me. I know he's a good guy and that the type of person that I deserve to be with.

Kat: Chad, I have to go. Evelyn is calling me for breakfast. You know how she gets with food and having it come isn't good for the baby.

Chad: I'll see you when you come in. Tell Eliza that I'm sending positive vibes to her. She deserves good things to happen to her.

I do deserve that. I'm glad he's saying things like this.

Kat: Bye Chad.

She hangs up the phone and then puts it in her pocket. She takes my hand and says. "Let's get some food into us." Looking over at Evelyn she asks. "What's for breakfast?"

"You'll see. It will be the same thing I'll be offering you when you come over for the weekend. Friday and Saturday night you're all mine. The boys will be here for a different reason.

Kat looks over at her grandmother-in-law and says. "Evelyn, are you trying to play matchmaker?"

"Would it matter if I am?"

Wrapping my arms around Evelyn I whisper. "I think it's a bit too early for you to set me up with anybody. Even if it's Chad. I know he's a great guy, but he doesn't need to be with someone that's an absolute mess like I am right now."

"You won't always be a mess, Eliza. I also want you to know there's a guy that lives close by that cares about you and I'm sure you feel the same about him."

Kat and I leave the hall and enter the dining room when we get there, there are trays of food sitting on the table in metal containers. Which is keeping the food warm.

Evelyn grabs herself a coffee and joins us for breakfast. "What do you two have planned for the rest of the day?"

Kat puts food on her plate and then says. "I'm going to have a small sleep and then head into the office."

"I'm spending the day in bed," I tell her honestly.