Shattered Part II - 39

In the car, Chad pulls his phone out and goes through the list of Italian places until he stops at Rivera. He opens the app and asks. "What kind of pizza and pasta do you want?"

Leaning over I look at the phone and go through their list of foods. "Fettuccini and Pepperoni pizza, please."

Chad orders the food for us and a smile spreads across his face. "I'm glad we like the same things. It makes it easier for when we get take-out. They will have dinner ready for us in half an hour. Do you want to go to McDonald's and get the kids dinner?"

"Sure, at least it will save time as we look for someplace to eat. I don't want the kids to make a mess in the car."

Looking out the window he says. "I have the perfect place for us to eat and then we can watch a movie before you take them home. How does that sound?"

A smile spreads across my face. "That sounds perfect, Chad. We'll have to watch something kid-friendly for them."

Mia looks at me and says. "Can we watch The Lion King?"

The car takes us to McDonald's where Chad tells the drivers that the kids want Happy Meals with apple juice.

"You remembered, uncle Chad," Logan says, smiling widely at him.

Chad ruffles his hair. "Of course I remember what you like, bud. Your're Mom and Dad told me to bring you that when they had movie nights." He lowers his voice for me to hear and says. "It was code for them to have alone time. It's easier for them to have it while you're living there."

Of course, it is.

"They're not going to have many more of them. I'm looking for a place of my own and everything I've looked at isn't what I want. Do you think there's a perfect place for me?"

A smile spreads across his face. "Yes, maybe you need to think outside the box. Did you know some people don't think about moving until there's an offer? I'm sure if you see a place it like just make an offer. They might accept. Or it could take a couple of days before they take up the offer."

"Do you know where you want to live?"

"Yes, close to my sister. The house needs to have a pool house for my parents because I want them to move in with me. I like the idea of them being close to their kids. Maybe, all of us being here will help us all to get to where we were years ago." Picking up my phone I look at it and see information about the hold-up.

Frank's convenience store was held up around 4:39 pm. Where six armed men entered the store with the intent of stealing from the tip. Several gunshots were heard from across the street.

As of 5:15 pm, all people that had been injured have been taken to the hospital. Frank got shot in the arm, while the other guys were killed.

Letting out a deep breath I whisper. "That's good."

Chad's attention turns to me. "What's good?"

"The place that was held up was Frank's. He was injured in the robbery, but I'm sure he's the one that shot the armed robbers and they deserve it because they should be stealing. Especially, from an ex-military man."

He places his hand on mine. "Do you want to see him?"

Shaking my head I say. "It's better that we don't. I'll see him after the movie. He should be out of the OR by then. I better call my father. He'd want to know what's going on." Pulling Dad's number up. I call him. It rings a couple of time before he answers.

Dad: Hey, Lizzie. What's going on?

Me: it's about uncle frank. His shop was held up today.

Dad: Ah, shit. Please, tell me he's alright?

Me: he got shot and is in hospital. The robbers were shot too. I don't think Frank would have gone easy on them.

Dad slightly chuckles before saying. "He had the right to protect himself and the store he runs. You're mother and I are heading to the city to see him. Are you coming to see him tonight?"

Me: Yes, I'm grabbing dinner right now with the kids and then we're having a movie night at Chad's before dropping the kids at home. Then I'll drive to the hospital.

Dad: Okay, I'll see you when you get there. Have a great night. I love you.

Me: love you too, Dad.

Hanging up the phone I look at the kids and see that they're playing a game console that's hooked up to the car. "No wonder they're quiet. You have games for them to play."

"Yes, and there's also a screen for passengers to watch movies.  However, I know you're happy to talk than watch something."

The car pulls at the speaker for the drive-through at McDonald's. The kid's dinner is ordered and we move through the windows until the meals are given to us.

Before I know it we're back on the road heading towards the Rivera Italian restaurant. When we get there Chad climbs out of the car and grabs the food. It doesn't take long before he's climbing back into the car and giving me the food while he puts his seatbelt on.

Once his seatbelt is back on the car pulls onto the side of the road and we head in the direction of Chad's place.

When we get to the house Chad opens the door for me. He waits for me to climb out before he follows. The kid's run up to the house and we follow behind them.

At the door, Chad puts his key into the lock and we enter the house. He leads the way through the halls with ease until we're standing in a theatre room.

There's a huge screen hanging on the wall and seats are spaced out all over the place with cup holders.

Looking up Chad yells. "Sondra, can you put on The Lion King. The one that was recently released not the cartoon."

"Yes, Sir."

It takes a couple of minutes before the movie starts and we eat our food.

"How far from my sister's place are we?"

A smile spreads across his face. "Ten minutes. When we were looking for places we wanted something close by and this was the closest. I tried to buy the house from the neighbours, but they wouldn't budge. I'm glad that we still live close by."

"Do you think either neighbour will sell now?"

Chad laughs. "I think there is. They have a daughter who moved to Georgia last year. I don't think they have it in themselves to sell, but if you offer I'm sure they'll consider it to be closer to their Grandchild."

Turning my attention back to the movie. It doesn't take long before the music comes in and I begin singing the words to the cartoon I grew up watching.

Logan nudges his sister and they turn their attention to me and start laughing.

I'm glad that I can entertain everyone.