Chapter 36

Marko stood in the doorway of the front door, holding a box in his hands. I felt myself starting to sweat from seeing him here right now. "Are you alright miss?" he said, acting as if he didn't know me at all. I could read his eyes really well. Play along or we might mess it all up, they seemed to say to me.

 "I-i'm fine sir," I said, almost giving us away. I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. It wouldn't be any better if I was in panic mode because the guy I gave specific instructions failed to follow them. 

"Well, here you go." Marko held out the package and I grabbed it. His fingers rubbed against mines and I honestly didn't want him to let go. He released the package and I put it under my arm. "Have a good day ma'am," he said to me and stepped off of the porch. I nodded my head and closed the door. I took the package upstairs and released the breath I've been holding since I saw him. I ripped open the box and saw packs of black clothing and a black device at the bottom. 

A note was taped on the back of it, "Press this when you want us to come in." Tears started to stream down my face as I hid the device and put the clothes up on hangers. How did he find us?  

Better yet, was this the package I was supposed to receive? I'm pretty sure if Charles finds out there were two deliveries made to this address then we just might lose the fight. I hid the box in the far corner of the closet and put some of the old clothes on top of it. I asked Alex for the steel and spoons and began to sharpen them. It didn't take long to sharpen three of them and hand them off to my sisters.  I told them to hide them somewhere safe while I sharpened the rest. 

So far the only plan I have is to see how many people will show up and limit the numbers. I can take out Charles by making him upset but it depends on how upset he will get in front of his guests. Also, will the guests bring even more back up? 

I guess I'll figure it out sooner than later. 

I stepped out of the room with my sisters and kept to Charles's room. I opened the door very slowly and to my luck, it was empty. I crept into the room and placed the sharpen spoons under his bed. Just in case I make him upset and he brings me here, I have a chance. 

I reached for the doorknob but it started to jiggle and I could hear Natalie talking to someone. I hurried up and jumped across the bed and put my hand over my mouth. I heard the door open and the mattress springs squeeze together. Her long hair touched my shoulder and I almost screamed. She started to sigh and talk into her phone, " Yeah, yeah. I know what I have to do." 

The person from the other side of the call sounded upset and very serious. "I'm trying damn! It's kinda hard when he barely pays any attention to me. He's always with that bitch. I even made the damn brat an offer she couldn't refuse by bringing her mother into it but that didn't work." Natalie said into the phone. 

It was clear she was talking about me and my family but to who? I wasn't really getting any info on whoever she was talking to but they sounded upset. "I said I'm trying here! What more do you want me to do? Well, are you going to show up tomorrow at least? Maybe you can talk some sense into him...a million dollars is a lot of money." 

A million dollars? What in the hell is going on?

"I told you already! He doesn't want me anymore! It's just all about that girl. It's like he loves her or something...yes ma'am. I will try again." Natalie said and the call ended. She ended up getting out of the bed and leaving the room, slamming the door to let me know she was gone. I got up from my hiding spot and ran out of the room.

Does Charles love me? How? Why? And what about a million dollars?

I glanced through the cracks of the boarded-up windows to see the sun going down. Charles still wasn't back yet, even though it was getting dark. I entered the room with my sisters to see them playing some hand games and I smiled at them. I touched my head and noticed my hair was dry and matted. I strolled into the bathroom to find an old pair of scissors and began to cut my hair off. I snipped my hair down to a mini fade and threw all of my old hair away.