Chapter 37

I cried as much as I could until I fell asleep. When I woke up, night had just fallen and my sisters were chained to the bed. "Guys?" I called out in the dark. I heard the chains rattle, meaning they were still here. "Yeah, Kat?"

"I'm sorry for everything. I didn't mean to drag you two into this messed-up situation. It was supposed to be me and me only. I wish you two didn't have to come to the store with me and get snatched. You both could've been at home right now, with Mamma and everyone else."

"Kat, you don't have to apologize for this. We know you're trying your best and the fight isn't over yet!" Alex said. I smiled, "I love you guys."

"We love you too," Crissy said.   

And Alex was right, the fight isn't over yet! I tried to wiggle out of the chains, but my arms and legs were chained down. I could hear people downstairs and knew the time had come. It was our time to shine. "You girls ready?" I asked my sisters. 

"Ready!"

I needed a way out of the chains and being in the dark wasn't going to help me. I tried to roll around but I was chained in place. Suddenly, the door had opened and the light switched on. Charles and some woman entered the room. She had on a huge green hat with a huge green overcoat. I couldn't really see her face because of the hat but I noticed her necklace. It was a silver pendant with a green orb in the middle. "Here they are."

The lady chuckled, "This is what you bring me? They look like dead cattle." Her voice was familiar for some unknown reason but that wasn't the point right now. "I have them like this for a reason, I'll unchain them for you." Charles snapped his fingers and two men came into the room and unchained my sisters. They unchained my legs and left my arms together. 

The lady studied them, lifting their heads to meet her gaze, making them lift their arms, and other things. Once she was done, she took my sisters out of the room. "Where are you going with them!" I yelled. 

"Calm down missy. It'll only take a moment." The woman said to me. The door had closed and I got up to try and find something to free myself. I glanced at the other bed and saw a bobby pin. My arms couldn't reach so I decided to use my legs to get to the pin. I used my foot to grab the pin and sat back on my bed. By the time I got the pin in my fingers, the door opened back up. 

The two men entered and chained my sisters back together. While they were chaining my sisters back together, I slid the pin under my pillow. I made eye contact with Alex and signed to her, "How many people?"

Alex signed back, " 5 people upstairs, 4 people downstairs." 

I signed back, "Check under my pillow." Alex nodded and the men then turned to me. They grabbed my arms and unchained me from the bed. I stepped in front of them and exited the room. As much as I didn't want to leave my sisters alone, I had to. I walked down the steps and noticed that there were indeed five people in the room. Charles and Natalie were talking to the lady while men I haven't seen before, were drinking their heads off. 

The two men behind me went to go tell Charles I was here and he turned towards me. He approached me and slid his hand down my backside. The lady made her way over to me and had me look up at her. Her eyes were too green so I figured they were contacts. "So this is the dove you wanted to keep?" She said to Charles.

He nodded his head and kissed my head, "She's a dime. I can't let this one out of my sights." The lady glanced at Charles then back at me. "Oh really? What makes her so special?" 

"Everything," Charles said. I knew I couldn't get Charles while all of these people were around so I decided to act out. "Excuse me miss?" The lady looked back at me. "You seem like a bitch."