Chapter 13

Thursday

I woke up to the sunlight beaming in my face. I slowly opened up my eyes to see Mamma opening up my curtains. She turned around and sat next to me on the bed.

"Good morning baby. There's breakfast downstairs and that boy is here to get you."

"Boy?" I really hoped that Jamal wasn't downstairs because I wasn't really planning on having him take me to school this morning but it seems like a routine now.

"Yeah, and when were you going to tell me about this date huh?" Mamma had raised her eyebrow and smirked at me. I instantly just went under the covers and prayed that God strikes me down right now.

"Ain't no use in hiding now child. Where did y'all plan on going?"

"He said he wanted to take me to a party.", I said from under the covers. I already know that she's not going to let me go. Parties are every parents' fear. I could get pregnant or maybe even drugged and that's probably what's going through her head.

"What kind of party?"

"It's just a little celebration I guess." I really didn't know what to say. I really didn't ask about the details, I was too busy smiling like a dummy.

"You don't even know, do you?" I pulled the cover off of my head and she had her arms crossed over her chest. I laid back on the bed and sighed. "Not a clue Mamma."

"So how you know this boy not tryna get to your cookie jar or drug you?"

"He's not like that Mamma. He's nice, caring, respectful and all of that jazz. He wouldn't put me in harm's way."

"And if he does, I'ma put him 6 feet under." I shook my head at my mother's comment while she started to laugh. I got up out of the bed and went into the closet. "So Mamma can I go?"

I heard her sigh and she walked up behind me and patted my shoulders. "I'll think about it. I don't know this boy too well and something doesn't feel right."

"What do you mean?", I asked with a bit of worry in my voice. " You already see on the news how those girls are going missing around here and I don't want you to be next."

"Mamma..." I hugged her and kissed her forehead, "Nothing will happen to me, I'll be fine."

"I'll still think about it. Now get your butt ready and go downstairs.", she said while faking like she was about to give me a whooping. I laughed and turned around to pick out my outfit for the day.

Grey shirt and sweats.

Can't go wrong with that.

I placed my stuff on the bed and hurried into the bathroom to do my morning routine. When I finished with that, I put my thick hair into a ponytail and put on my clothes. I grabbed my things and rushed down the steps.

Mamma was playing music and swaying to the beat. Either today is her day off or she got a promotion. When I got downstairs, she was still dancing and I grabbed a few pieces of bacon from the plate.

I ran behind her and started to sway to the R&B song as well. We were just dancing in the kitchen until Crissy joined us too. Soon, we were all dancing in the kitchen to the music until Mamma brushed us all out of the kitchen.

"Alright, alright. Go get ready kids and Kat, I have the weekend off so you can attend your little date on Saturday."

I ran up and hugged Mamma so right and kissed her cheek, "Thank you, Mamma! Thank you! Thank you!"

"But you need to be home by 10:30 sharp. Or else.", she said with a stern voice. I nodded my head and grabbed my stuff then dashed outside.

Jamal's truck was parked across the street and I saw him put some sort of white tablet into his mouth. I went up to the car and hopped inside. He was swallowing water once I got my seat belt on. " What's that?"