Chapter 14

Once I got out of the shower, I picked up my phone and called Jamal. The phone had rung for a few seconds then he answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, baby. I was wondering if you were ok."

I heard him sigh in my ear," Yeah I'm fine baby. Sorry for speeding off like that today."

"Why did you speed off anyway?"

"Because when you told me about that dude seeing you... I figured he was looking for me."

Looking for him? Why would they be looking for him? I sat there for a minute and thought but I didn't want to be quiet for too long.

"What does he want with you?"

"Probably wants to talk to me about his little brother. I have the slightest idea to what he wants..."

"Hmm... alright."

"Anything else on your mind beautiful?"

"No, just checking in on you." Suddenly, I heard yelling in the background. It sounded like a little boy calling out.

"Yeah! Here I come! Dang baby, I'll call you back in a few minutes."

"Ok." The phone had hung up and I decided to go downstairs to see what my Mamma was doing. When I came down the steps, I heard voices.

I peeked around the corner to see some man in the living room, talking to my mother. I walked in a bit more to notice that Fred was on the couch.

"So when did this happen?" They both turned around and Fred started smiling. "Nothing is happening, just having a nice conversation."

"Alright well have a nice night you two."

I grabbed a juice and went back up the steps to my room. I closed the door and laid down. I waited for Jamal's call but it never came.

I was dozing off until my phone had buzzed. I picked it up without looking at the number.

"Hey, baby. I was just about to go to sleep."

"Damn so that's my name now?" I recognized the voice and it was Marko.

"My bad M. I thought you were Jamal."

"So y'all two are together?"

"Yeah."

He sighed then took a deep breath, "Just be careful Kat. You doing anything this weekend?"

"I have a date Saturday and nothing for Sunday. Probably run some errands for my mother."

"Where is he taking you?"

"A party. Marko don't worry, I won't drink at all."

"Party? Don't tell me it's the Football Brawl. That place has nothing but alcohol and sex. Don't go."

"Marko we've been over this already. He's not going to do anything that I'm not cool with."

"Alright..."

Marko was really concerned with me and it made me feel a bit happy. Even though he was being a complete asshole, he was still my friend.

"Hey M..."

"Yeah?"

"Did you know that Yasmin and Jamal were dating?"

"Now that I think about it...yes. He was with her before she went missing."

"How did yo-"

"I used to sneak into my father's files and read them. On the report, it says that Jamal was the last person to see her and the last place he saw her was at the Football Brawl."