Chapter 3

I finally got to my stop and got off the bus. I put my headphones in. One in my ear while the other one stayed out.

Since Marko said I didn't have to give back his change, I decided to go to the store. I went into a corner store and saw Fred behind the counter. He waved and I waved back.

"Hey, missy. How is your mama doing?"

I grabbed a juice from the back and walked up to the front counter.

"She's doing fine. I tell her that she needs to get out more though."

Fred was a cool guy. I come in here all the time for a snack or maybe a joke or two. He wasn't that old but maybe around his 40s. Looked good for his age.

"Well maybe if she returned my calls, I could take her out."

"I'll help you."

"Thanks, kid."

I waved bye and walked home.

~~~~~~~~

By the time I got there, nobody was here so I had the house to myself for a little bit. I decided to tidy the place up a bit.

After I got done with all that, I grabbed some pizza rolls out of the freezer and put them in the microwave.

While I was waiting for my food, I started to look out the window. I had to watch for my little siblings when they come home.

Either they take the bus or our neighbor, Ms. Walker, brings them home with her granddaughter.

I was looking outside for my sibs when I saw that man again. He was just standing across the street. I know my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

I rubbed my eyes and looked again. He was gone. I looked around and he really was gone. I was really starting to get chills down my spine. It felt weird like something was there. Just then I heard a bump upstairs.

I slowly turned around and went into the closet to grab the bat. I crept up the steps and stood in front of my door. I took a deep breath and opened the door. My room looked the same and my windows were locked.

I checked the closet and under my bed. I even went into the bathroom. Nothing. Maybe I'm just overreacting.

At least I thought I was when I heard bumping downstairs. I gripped the bat tightly and ran down the steps, almost falling in the process.

I checked my sisters' room and nothing was there. I sighed and went back into the hallway.

The last room was my Mamma's. I walked slowly towards her room. I pushed her door open until I got this feeling that something was behind me.

I stopped and was about to turn around when something grabbed my arm. I swung the bat around and the person fell back. I raised the bat above my head and was about to crack somebody's skull when I looked down and saw Crissy.

She had tears in her eyes and was covering her face. I dropped the bat and dropped down to my knees. Aw shit...

"Oh Crissy...you scared me."

"I just wanted to give you this...then you tried to hit me."

I wiped her tears away.

"No no...I wasn't trying to hit you. I was hitting the...."

Think. Think. Think.

"The bad guys."

"Bad guys?"

"Yeah, he was invisible and he was right behind you. So I had to get him for you."

"Ohhhhhhhh...Did you get them? Did you get them?"

"I sure did."

She hugged me and gave me a bracelet. It was a string bracket that spelled out my name. I put it on and modeled it out. She started laughing when I got up.

"Where's Alex?"

"She's outside with Kayla."

"Ok. Make sure you do your homework."

"Ok!"

She got up and ran to the kitchen. I picked up the bat and looked at Mamma's room. I got this feeling then I shrugged it off.

I put the bat up and went into the kitchen. I got my pizza rolls out and ate some of them. I saw Crissy doing her work so I didn't bother her.

I opened the front door to see Kayla and Alex playing with chalk. I stepped outside and waved at Ms. Walker.

She smiled then waved back. My phone started buzzing and I pulled it out to see who was calling me.

Over the top part of my screen it said:

Mom❤️❤️❤️

I hurried up and answered it...She gets mad when I miss like 2 calls from her. Then when you call back... They don't answer... Like damn you died within 3 seconds?

"Hello?"

"Hello? Did your sisters make it home yet?"

"Yeah, they here."

"Ok good. I think I gotta stay over time but I'll be there before 12. Make sure you feed them and put them to bed at 9."

"Will do Mama."

"Thanks, Kat. I love you and tell my babies I love them too."

"Love you too Mama. And ok."

I hung up the phone and sighed. It's not that I didn't wanna watch them. It's the fact that the hospital is overworking my mother.

They do this overtime thing almost every day. The only day off she has is Sunday and for some reason, she doesn't want me to get a job. I mean I'm old enough but she wants me to focus on school.

I went back into the house and worked on some of my notes. Studying is the key to success.

~~~~~~~

I looked at my phone and it was 4:30 p.m. So I put my notes up and told Alex to come inside. Crissy was playing with her toys while Alex started on her homework.

I went into the kitchen and looked in the fridge.

What to cook...

I took out some chicken and grabbed some macaroni boxes from the cabinet. Guess we're having chicken and macaroni tonight.

I put the chicken in some water and put some water in a pot for the macaroni.

I looked over and saw Crissy still playing with her toys and Alex was watching TV.

"Where's mama?", Alex yelled.

" At work as usual."

"Ughhh."

She sucked her teeth and went into her room. I rolled my eyes and washed off the chicken. After that, I seasoned it and plugged up the fryer.

The water came to a boil so I put the macaroni shells in the water. I looked back and Crissy was gone.

"Crissy?"

See ya next chapter!