Chapter 9

Wednesday

I didn't get any sleep last night because of what Jade told me. I just can't process the thought of Marko liking me.

We've been friends ever since middle school and he hasn't dropped any hints. I mean I don't have any type of feeling towards him like that no way.

I stretched out my arms and got up. I looked at the window and saw that it was raining. I actually love the rain.

I grabbed out a pair of joggers and my rain boots. I put my shoes in my bookbag. I put on a shirt and called it a day. I left my hair all wild and went downstairs.

Nobody was up yet, so I grabbed some bread and put it in the toaster. While I was waiting on my toast, it started to rain harder.

I really don't want to wait at the bus stop for this yellow contraption, but that's all I have.

"POP!"

I grabbed the toast and put jelly on it. While I was spreading the jelly, my phone buzzed. I looked at it to see a text from Jamal.

J: Good morning 🙂

I blushed and responded to him...

K: Morning

J: Wyd?

K: Fixing toast and getting ready to head out in this rain😅

J: You sure? I can give you a ride

K: You don't have to do that

What the freak am I doing? I need this ride but I don't wanna burden him with my problems.

He texted back with-

J: Nonsense.... Be there in 5 minutes

Well, there's no changing his mind now. I ate my toast and put on my boots. Mamma walked into the kitchen and kissed my cheek.

"Morning baby."

"Morning Mamma."

She fixed her a cup of coffee and looked out the window.

"Good lord, it's pouring down out there ain't it? I don't want you standing in that mess."

"Don't worry Mamma. I got a ride."

She poured some coffee in a mug and looked at me, raising her eyebrow.

"Who? Jade doesn't have a car and Marko... I don't know about that one."

"It's the guy that dropped me off yesterday."

"What was his name? Jason?"

I shook my head and facepalmed myself. She did not just say, Jason.

"It's Jamal."

"Whatever. Whatever happened to Marko? I miss him being around. When y'all two gon tie the knot?"

I choked on air. No, she didn't just say "tie the knot." What is with everyone and wanting Marko and me together?

"Mamma....we're just friends. That's it."

"Girl, please. Y'all used to always be around each other like y'all was a couple. I remember when you got mad because he got a girlfriend and didn't spend as much time with you."

"Ok, first of all, I wasn't mad at that... I just didn't like the fact that she was using him."

"Mhm sure. Or what about the time you had that little boyfriend of yours and Marko was so protective of you?"