Chapter 12

Jamal was here.
In my house.
In my living room.
Sitting next to me.

Don't freak out Kat.

I turned on the tv so we wouldn't be in total silence. I didn't even know what to say to him. This was the first time a guy has ever stepped into my house. Marko didn't even come into my house before. Come to think of it, I didn't even tell my mother that anyone was coming over.

I just pray that my wonderful little sisters won't snitch on me.

Who am I kidding? I'm dead meat.

While I was too busy thinking about my mother killing me, Jamal had touched my arm; causing me to jump.

"You alright there Kat? You've been ignoring me for the last five minutes."

Aw crap! I'm already messing up!

"Um yeah. I'm cool just thinking."

"About what?"

How my mother will kill me if she sees you in this house with me...

"About the assignment in English."

"Oh yeah, you want to finish it right quick? I gotta go get my bag out of my truck real quick." He stood up and jogged towards the door and went outside. I got up and grabbed my bag from the floor. I reached inside of it and grabbed out my binder and sat back down on the couch.

Jamal came back with his bag and sat down a little bit closer to me on the couch. He opened his bag, reached inside and pulled out an all-white binder. We both pulled out the assignment and saw that we were almost done.

"So, do you have any hidden talents?", I asked him while trying not to make eye contact.

"Well, you already know that I play sports so I guess I don't have any hidden talents.", he said while rubbing his neck.

"What about when we were on the track? You told me that you like to write songs and poetry..."

"I used to like it."

"Why don't you do it anymore?"

He sighed and I noticed that his jaw was getting a little tight. I reached out to touch his hand and he softened up a bit and looked at me. Suddenly, I felt my binder being slid out of my hands and my body getting pulled into a warm hug.

He was hugging me, wait no more like holding me close. His strong arms wrapped around my waist and didn't let go.

"Are you ok?"

"I stopped writing poetry because of my mother.", he said with his head in my neck. " I loved to make little songs for her as a child then my father came along and said that it was girly shit and beat me whenever I did it..." I rubbed his back while he told me this information.

It's crazy to think that he went through those things as a child. "You don't have to say anything else. We can finish another time, it's not due until next Friday."

"Yeah ok." He let me go then put his stuff back into his bag. "You hungry?"

"No, not really." As soon as those words flew out of my mouth, my stomach started to rumble.

Stupid belly...

"Well, your tummy says otherwise. Come on, I'll take you to get some food."

I glanced at the clock and it said 2:52. My sisters would be home any minute now, so I really can't leave.

"I can't. I have to wait for my sisters."

"How about we go get them? I can get you all something to eat." Why are you so nice for no reasonnnnnnn????