Chapter 23

"Chocolate milkshakes just take the cake," Snow complimented the drink dessert standing on a tall glass with whipped cream and cherry on top

"Chocolate milkshakes just take the cake," Snow complimented the drink dessert standing on a tall glass with whipped cream and cherry on top. She went for the same drink as Casey's as though they were sharing a milkshake. Immediately after their order was put down at their table, she was impressed.

They stumbled to the creamery diner and parlor called Rosanne's, which was a humble place but had a wonderful vibe to it. The geometric triangles in black and white tiles, marble white countertops near the ice cream selections, and cute artwork pictures of their food on the walls. A little bit 1950s with a few modern touches.

She was hungry for the food, picking up the burger, and having a bite. Then she asked Casey, "How are you feeling?"

"Are you checking in with me?"

"Yeah, it's good to check in on others sometimes."

"Still in a weird state, but thank you," Casey quipped.

Snow sighed at the misfortune of his, whether her actions were ineffective and dragging him. It was sore in the butt. "How about we just take a break from the challenges and just talk? Make you feel better?" she suggested.

"Sounds like a way to fill time, sure." His tone was just tired.

She hummed in response, checking out the French fries. "Did you have anyone you admire growing up?"

It was silence; his eyes contemplated, not meeting her eyes.

"You know, there was one who was my next-door neighbor when I was a child. A woman named Ms. Young. She was kind and makes the best pastries. She would always let me have it after she makes it that day. When my parents weren't home, I'd go over to her house. She had a daughter the same age as me, but she lived with her dad. Her name was..." Snow paused as she was trying to recall. "I think it was... Kaitlin?"

Ms. Young was similar to her mother, only more ingenious, and lives for the moment. Her mother shied away from most things and thought too much about what could happen. Ms. Young liked to play puzzles and watch The Bachelor, inviting Snow to do these things with her.

"Ms. Young was always looking out for me and listens to my stories, no matter how unnecessary they seem. I broke my new colored crayons; she buys me a new set. I fell down at school; she checks where it hurts. She's so attentive to these things that I feel better afterward."

She was fond of the little things. "She told me not to be like her when I grow up, and I questioned why. Why wouldn't I want to be a responsible and mature person like her? She was so cool; then she said it was because she failed at love and didn't want me to have the same fate as her. I didn't understand that then, but I think I do now."

She shrugged her shoulder simply. "I said I could feel her love when she cares for me, and that's a pretty good job."

Her mouth pursed. That was all she had to say then she continued eating her burger. She would just eat until that next minute Casey said something. "It wasn't anything as important or as close as yours, but I do remember this one time... I had a PE teacher in eighth grade. He made sure that each of us participates in the activity or sport we have to play... I wasn't really good at anything since I suck at them. Maybe except soccer, but I hadn't played in forever, so I probably suck now."