Chapter 28

Avoidance

Avoidance. Casey grasped onto his bad-tempered behavior for the past three days; other than walking to his boring classes and leaving, he couldn't be bothered to be talking to anyone.

He ditched lunchtimes with his friends and waited until he'd gone home to cook himself easy meals. In between breaks, he snacked on granola bars or Kit Kats. He hid in a less crowded spot around campus ground where he could be alone.

The face of his ex-friend burned brightly in the back of his mind, and seeing Ty, was troubling. Casey didn't want to see him again, and his unexpected appearance made him react. They didn't live in the same town anymore. He moved away, yet that didn't mean the grudge did.

The living room had darkened around him, and its only shed of light that let in was the sliding door with a view of the backyard. Discerning the midafternoon sky that sunk leisurely with its colorless blue and grey.

Casey should pull the curtains open all the way, just as how he should leave this spot and do something, but his adamant strength said otherwise. He slumped more into his beanbag chairs, feeling more like a drop-dead loser of the year.

He was in a rut again; he didn't know what to do with all the pent-up emotions that surfaced like a heating fire. It may be his defensive self-talking, but he was led to put up his walls. He didn't want anyone to see the messy side of him.

Snow blew up his phone with text messages, and he didn't respond to a single one. He wouldn't begin to know what to say.

He couldn't go to Malloy as well, because he knew that he would just tell him to talk to her. They were together like bear cubs.

The sense of being alone with no one to turn to, he hated it. His complication was like onions; he found more and more layers the deeper he went.

Yet he thought to himself: it's better that way, that no one needed to know.

The friends he made in high school were old news. His mom became burnt out from work. His close person was Raquel, but he may think he lost that connection too. The only thing he could rely on was his dark corner and the comforts of his bedsheets when he hits home.

Could he be that terrible that maybe nobody liked having him around?

Text notifications from his phone interrupted in on his contemplation, and when he looked, it was all just Snow.

The longer he could hear the continuous sound, Casey made an impatient sigh and shut off his phone. He didn't need the spamming.

Casey continued to mope while doing nothing for the past fifteen minutes or so. Abruptly, the doorbell rang. At first, he didn't care for it. Two times, he took no notice. But then the doorbell persisted until basically, it sounded like someone was abusing it. He couldn't take that much longer, and it prompted Casey to push himself up to walk heavily to the door.