Chapter 38

A week had hit him, with all this focusing on his schoolwork and exams

A week had hit him, with all this focusing on his schoolwork and exams. And he couldn't tell if he was more than mildly stressed out or if it was because he couldn't identify this weird feeling creeping beneath him that he had been trying to repress now.

The only thing Casey knew he needed was his Iced Americano.

Luna put out the coffee drink for him on the table, and he took a sip right away. He thought he let the bitter feeling go down his throat. After he expelled out a sigh, he slumped down in his chair. A side of his cheek pressing against the cold countertop, which he believed were just polished. His mind wanted nothing more than to go empty in this deep, black nothingness, and he could do that if he just closes his eyes and fall asleep here.

"Casey, what is it? Is it about Raquel again? I know it's still hard, but you can't slow down the world," Luna said. Her voice was gentle, but her words were plain-spoken.

She lowered herself to the countertop with him, crossing her arms and inching her face to his so that they were few inches apart. "Come on, tell good Luna your problems." She made a face with eyes opened with inquisitiveness and her bottom lip jutted out.

He sighed. Mornings could be peaceful around here, but with Luna working here in her morning shifts, she became strangely accustomed to his problems. He thought it should be a bartender's job, but her customer service skills in a coffee shop were pretty niche.

"I can sense your brooding from here." Luna eyed at him cautiously. "Now, why don't you lift your gaze up and tell me what's the most recent Casey's thought going on in your brain?"

Supposedly, he would have to tell her or this feeling bottling up inside him could get worse. So he chose the latter option. Casey lifted his head slowly along with his gaze to Luna's dark orbs. It's just written all over her that she wanted him to disclose the details with her.

"Raquel is one problem, but it's not about her that's currently into my mind," Casey said.

Her eyes shot up in surprise. "Is there something else? I thought that you were slowly picking yourself up, but now it looks like you're back at it again. Let me see... it's almost the end of the semester for you, right? Are you stressing out because of the finals? I'm sending my wishes for you to make it." She cheered on. 

"That's half of it, but there's another thing too."

"Well, tell me that 'thing.'" Her head tilted at him in a cat-like manner, like she's furthering assessing him.

"Okay." He sighed. She turned her head back normally and nodded. "You know the girl I came here with a few times?"

"Snow? She seems a bit shy, but of course, I remembered. Why? Did something happen with her?" Luna asked.

What did happen with her? Once their relationship practice was over, they were just friends now. They cared for each other and supported one another, so why did he feel an inkling that something with her was different? It's like when he's near her, he felt gravitated to her warm and open energy. She gave him her sweet smile, and her eyes looked to him kindly. He saw her kindness as an act of doing something, but now they were uniqueness that makes her... well her.