Chapter 24

The moment Snow stepped foot into Malloy's house, she was enraptured by his arms when he hugged her

The moment Snow stepped foot into Malloy's house, she was enraptured by his arms when he hugged her. His warmth from his body was all around. Even in his sleep-in cotton shirt with his pajama pants, Malloy looked great. 

He invited her and the others to come over because he was getting bored.

Malloy walked with her to the living room, and Snow spotted Kyle sitting on the couch in his Nike T-shirt and gray sweatpants and Malloy's dog laying on the rug. She joined him on the couch, leaning over to hug him.

"Hey," Kyle said, patting her on the back.

"Hey," she said.

A small tap touched against her thigh, and when she looked down, cutely brown orbs were staring at her. Shelby placed her paws on the edge of the cushion and looked anticipatedly at Snow. She was a golden mountain dog, her coat in a tricolor of black, brown, and white.

"Looks like Shelby misses you." Malloy noticed, flopping beside Snow, and gave his dog a quick pat on the head.

"And I missed Shelby." Snow grinned as she caressed her soft fur. "How are you?" She talked in a baby voice.

Her tail wagged eagerly as the dog licked her other hand, showing her excitement.

The doorbell rang, and Shelby barked. "I'll get it," Malloy announced, standing up to get the door.

Snow continued heeding to Shelby with both of her hands made their way to the dog's ears. The footsteps were nearing, and she swiftly darted her eyes to the two guys.

"You remember Shelby, right?" Malloy asked Casey.

"I think so. I assume it's the dog right there." He nodded his head towards the direction of where Shelby was.

"Yeah, you didn't get a good look at her last time, right?" Malloy wondered then patted his front thighs. "Come here, Shelby," he called to her, and she dashed towards him. "Sit." On command, she did a sitting position. "Shelby, this is Casey."

He warned Casey. "She's a bit wary of strangers, but she's mostly friendly. Why don't you pet her?"

Shelby peered at Casey while her tail swished back and forth from behind. He watched her for a few seconds, and a chuckle escaped his lips. He got down on one knee and petted the top of her head. "Hi there," Casey said softly.

Malloy sat down. "I think she's warming up to him," he pointed out.

"Aww, just look at him. I think this is as close as affectionate as we'll see him," Kyle said as Shelby playfully pawed at Casey's wrist.

Casey examined her for a short bit, and soon he came out with a soft smile, seemingly warming up to her as well.

This side of him was pleasant to see. How come he didn't do it so often? It would make him good-looking, and a lot happier for his health. What could be wrong with sharing a smile every once in a while?