Chapter 41

That one question had been repeated in his mind since it was asked—the specific question being, What happens if Raquel wants you back? He just couldn't have the answer to it

His thought process was long and complicated on why this couldn't have an answer and why he wouldn't know how it looks unless it actually happens to him.

Life could have many alternatives and different roads that one embarks on. You can go in any of them, and if you take the first one you thought was good enough, you're not going to know if that one you choose specifically is going to be disastrous whether there are too many speed bumps, finding a dead end, or even an animal crossing the road that you don't want to hit them but you may.

So specifically, you can reword this question to something different that doesn't have to be about his once girlfriend. One could ask what if their dead pet came back to life? What if their favorite sweater is found after it was lost? To say if Raquel would like to take back Casey, that's not something he would not want. Maybe he would take her back in a heartbeat.

It would be the same as wishing his dad didn't die, and then his mom would have been happy, and they could have lived a more normal stable life and be a happy family. His mom and he wouldn't have to move to Florida and stay in Wisconsin. His mom didn't want to be reminded of his dad's death, so she decided a fresh start in somewhere new and sunny could better their lives.

But it didn't. 

If that event didn't take place, then he would never know there was a girl named Raquel who would change his life.

Who cares what people say when they say you have to move on, and the world moves on. He still had a place for her in his heart, and that was never going to change.

Casey lay in bed for most of the afternoon. He could've watched television and find something on Netflix, but he wasn't in the right mood to binge-watch on any series, even if it would take his mind off of things. Now that the days were becoming slow, so was his mind since he could have the time to just think.

He thought about Raquel. A compilation of small moments that reoccurred from the times they spent together. Moments that he locked away and loved. It's all there, the times that he saw her. There were different sides of her that he came to cherish.

In the beginning process of getting to know Raquel, they texted each other a lot and share their socials. Through their text messages, he would get excited to chat with her. She sounded chill, but the first time when they progressed to phone calls and then meeting in person, she was more tentative. She talked a little slow around him and tried to sound like she knew what she was doing. He liked seeing her act more nervous than she led on because she looked interesting and cute. 

Once they had gotten more used to and comfortable around each other, she let herself loosen up around him. Sometimes she'd be playful with him or pestering him with childish remarks. For a while, she was the annoying friend, and he put up with her. She stuck her tongue out at him whenever she proved her point at something or just to become silly for no particular reason. But her laughter was contagious, and he would like to hear it over and over.