Chapter 35

During the break they had in between their classes, Casey and Snow took their stop to what came to be a usual place to hold discussions of something meaningful

During the break they had in between their classes, Casey and Snow took their stop to what came to be a usual place to hold discussions of something meaningful. This was his first coffee of the day that he so longingly needed.

It was about 12:36 pm. He sipped his cup and watched just as someone walked into the shop and waited in line. A man looked at the menu board, thinking about what to order.

Casey glanced at Snow who looked through the shop's lighting and interior decoration, and then she looked at him. They were both hesitant about who should start first. Today on their list to do was reading out their letters to their next lover. A letter addressed to whoever would become their new partner. It took each of them out of their—or rather expand—comfort zone to write out everything they know of each other and what that person should know.

If they were to give this letter to that next person, their lives are in their hands. Call it things to know or an instructional guide.

He had spent last night thinking up words and its meaning to deliver the right tone and speech. He redrafted each time, and when they weren't good enough, he threw away those papers stacked up in his trash can. There were never really the right words you can say to a person when you want to make it meaningful and heartfelt.

That was kind of like writing in old school style, and the only time he ever really needed to write a letter was back in grade school when teachers made them think of someone important to their lives. Writing a letter to a future unknown person, how was he going to go on about this?

"Why don't we start with just taking out our letters and taking a minute for ourselves?" Snow suggested.

He nodded in agreement. He opened his backpack and pulled out the letter he kept folded in half in his binder. He unfolded the letter to himself and took the time to browse through the state. It wasn't the best letter in the world, but it was the best draft that he had written out. This was not only his words but also his well-thought-out consideration.

A minute was up, and the two of them looked back at each other. Neither of them willed themselves forward. What was it about sharing a personal letter to each other or about how awkward it was because it is for an imaginary person in their life?

She looked nervous as though she didn't know if she should go first. She couldn't open her mouth and looked down at her letter like it was small and flawed to be said out loud.

Whatever was written in her hands, it couldn't have been awful. Hers must have been great of a speech, and he probably didn't have to hear it. But he wanted to make it easier for her by de-stressing her nerves.

"Would it be better if I go first?" Casey asked.

Her face visibly relaxed by a ton. "Yes, please, if you don't mind."

"Sure." He held the letter that leaned above the table. Taking just one quick sip of his coffee, he focused on the first opening of the line. 

"To Snow's first-ever partner," he began, and she pursed her mouth hard. "Be very careful because this is her first time entering a relationship, and no guy has tried to get close enough to see her for a girl that she is. She's most likely ecstatic by the time you are official with her because having a boyfriend is a huge deal to her. I suggest taking that role seriously because she's clearly invested in love and will love with all her heart that she can give. It's a remarkably huge heart. Don't ask me how I know, I just do. Snow is a very promising person, so open-hearted and kind. She's a sweet one. It's very easy to impress her because it takes simple gestures and thoughtfulness to make her happy. She's a huge romantic and a daydreamer that thinks about all the cliches moves and dates, so pull all the stops with them.