Chapter 8

Deep hunting through her closet and scaffolding at everything, and yet, nothing Snow found was worthy of date material

Deep hunting through her closet and scaffolding at everything, and yet, nothing Snow found was worthy of date material. All she had were basic tops, jeans, and shorts. She didn't have anything dressy, girly, or frilly except for that one white top with detailed ruffles, but that wasn't going to cut it. What were these clothes for her?

Thinking about her "first date," she wanted to treat it as a special occasion. Whenever she thought something looked decent, she held it up to her body and checked herself out at the mirror, but then lost interest a few seconds later and put it back.

It had proved a disastrous failure. Snow felt her hands tired of searching and then threw herself onto her bed. As her eyes bored into the ceiling, she sighed.

She stayed there for twenty minutes with nothing but rumination about how torn she'd be. Soft, yet sturdy knocks came from the outside of the door, and she knew it was a warning before her mother stepped into the room.

"Hi Snow. Are you tired?" she asked.

"No, just... miserable," Snow said slowly.

Her mother adopted that motherly look onto her countenance and then sat beside her on the bed. "Why do you feel that way?"

"Because... I can't find anything to wear."

"Are you going to go out? You'll look good in anything." Her mother was nice to reassure her, but it didn't help her right now.

"Mom, but I'm going on a date," she said, and her mother's eyes were widening and almost not believing.

She could tell she was curious, nevertheless, as she asked, "Date? You're going on a date? I never hear you about going on a date. Is this your first date?"

So many sentences ending with the word date got her mother flowing out like a dam. "It's not a real date, but it's a date. I want to look nice, but I don't have anything." Snow hoped it'd make sense with what she said, but she didn't believe it did.

Her mother was almost a little joyful when she thought Snow was actually going out with someone. She tried convincing her it was a different kind of dating in a sense they weren't, but her mother thought it was like a teenage kind of fling stage and shrugged it off.

"What about your plaid cardigans or thin sweaters? I think they look nice," her mother suggested.

Snow shook her head. "It's not enough."

Her head tilted, hesitating before she said, "I know just the right look for you." She lent her an outfit from her closet, which Snow saw in her eyes as the perfect fit. She thanked her for this, and her mother also offered to help her with her makeup.

By the time, Casey pulled up to the front of her house. Snow looked one last time in the mirror.

She had her hair done in beachy waves as the curls played loosely around than her usual normal wavy hair that fell at the ends.