Chapter 27

The night before had ended pretty much horribly

The night before had ended pretty much horribly. Snow urged him to tell her about what she saw back there when he showed up at their table and then began to act differently. She hadn't seen him this way.

He let her in with only a few words, and that was that guy wasn't good news.

Snow didn't know what to say about hearing that the guy she just met wasn't a good guy to Casey. When she asked again what the problem was, he just wasn't in the mood. That much she could tell.

She remembered the ugly.

"You must know him, right?" Snow pointed out what was most likely the obvious case. "It must come as a shock. You're feeling things."

"I'm not eager to take this now that he's here," Casey said sharply.

"You may not have seen him since then... Have you consider that maybe he changed?" she speculated.

Casey scoffed at how ridiculous that sounded to him. " You don't know anything."

Suddenly, a sense of safeguarding washed over her. "But why can't people be better now than they were before?"

"Do you think it's that easy?" he questioned her.

"You'll never know."

"I'd be damned."

What was this attitude coming from within him? So he didn't like him, but this was on another level. She didn't back down.

With her brows drew together, her expression perplexed. "How do you know that? You just took it out on him."

"Are you really saying it to me right now?" The tone in his voice asked skeptically.

"I just think that it's not fair on him. Maybe it's just you that is feeling this way," Snow remarked.

She shouldn't have said that because those words drove him over to the edge. He could've gone on; he could've exploded why he felt that way. Instead, he told her, "Fine, whatever." He stared at her narrowly with horrified disbelief.

It distressed her just the way they left it and no goodbyes. She couldn't enjoy the rest of the time without thinking if she could've said any different to him than to throw an accusation. Was there something she didn't know because she would like to be filled in.

She even felt terrible for spoiling the night for Kyle and Malloy. She thought to deserve a hearing for kind of starting something even though it was unintentional. Rather than getting annoyed, they comforted her as they talked it out then left to get her Frosty at Wendy's.

Over the weekend, she couldn't even relax without thinking about what had happened. Most of the afternoons, Snow spent bicycling around the neighborhood in circles, making herself in the head crazy. The blue sky that normally put her at ease just made her see things and weird shapes in the same clouds.