⤷ 24| THE YULE BALL

chapter twenty-four : the Yule Ball

☆ ☆ ☆

Timothée was waiting for her in front of the Fat Lady. He had dressed up nicely, June noticed, as she followed Angelina, Alicia, Fred, George and Lee out of the portrait hole.

"June," Timothée greeted her, smiling, "you look très magnifique!"

June took his hand, rolling her eyes in the process. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"You should," Timothée said, grinning. "It's not as if I compliment every girl that walks by."

"True," June said. "But I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

It was true. Juniper had noticed the looks the female students of Hogwarts gave him. She couldn't blame them though, Timothée was certainly quite a sight to look at. If she didn't know him her whole life, she'd probably be one of them, too.

She accepted his arm and led him guide her towards the Entrance Hall. There, everyone was already gathering in front of the doors that leaded to the Great Hall.

Fleur's partner was Roger Davies, while Viktor's partner was — June blinked, rubbed her eyes and looked at the person standing next to him — Hermione?

The bushy haired girl — who was suddenly not that bushy anymore — gave her an excited smile, which June returned.

"How are the nerves?" Timothée quietly asked.

"Fine until you asked after it," June said, looking up at him, smiling.

"Champions over here, please!" Professor McGonagall's voice called.

Timothée and June walked forwards, the chattering crowd parting to let them through. Professor McGonagall, who was wearing dress robes of red tartan, and had arranged a rather ugly wreath of thistles around the brim of her hat, told them to wait on one side of the doors while everyone else went inside; they were to enter the Great Hall in procession when the rest of the students had sat down. Fleur and Davies stationed themselves nearest the doors; Davies looked so stunned by his good fortune in having Fleur for a partner that he could hardly take his eyes off her. Harry and Parvati stood on June's left while Hermione and Viktor stood on Timothée's right.

The doors to the Great Hall opened, they waited until everyone else got in. Once everyone was settled in the Hall, Professor McGonagall told the champions and their partners to get in line in pairs, and follow her. They did so, and everyone in the Great Hall applauded as they entered.

The walls of the Hall had all been covered in sparking silver frost, with hundreds of garlands of mistletoe and ivy crossing the starry black ceiling. The house tables had vanished; instead there were about a hundred smaller, lantern-lit ones, each seating about a dozen people.