⤷ 05| REUNIONS

chapter five : reunions

☆ ☆ ☆

Juniper helped Harry up while looking around. They had arrived on what appeared to be a deserted stretch of misty moor. In front of them was a pair of tired and grumpy-looking wizards, one of whom was holding a large gold watch, the other a thick roll of parchment and a quill. Both were dressed as Muggles, though very inexpertly; the man with the watch wore a tweed suit with thigh-length galoshes; his colleague, a kilt and a poncho.

"Morning, Basil," Arthur said, picking up the boot and handing it to the kilted wizard, who threw it into a large box of used Portkeys beside him; June could see an old newspaper, an empty drinks can and a punctured football.

"Hello there, Arthur," Basil said wearily. "Not on duty, eh? It's all right for some . . . we've been here all night . . . you'd better get out of the way, we've got a big party coming in from the Black Forrest at five fifteen. Hang on, I'll find your campsite . . . Weasley . . . Weasley . . ." He consulted his parchment list. "About a quarter of a mile's wall over there, first field you come to. Site manager's called Mr Roberts. Diggory . . . second field . . . ask for Mr Payne."

"Thanks, Basil," Arthur said, and he beckoned everyon to follow him.

They set off across the deserted moor, unable to make out much through the most. After about twenty minutes, a small stone cottage next to a gate swam into view. Beyond it, Juniper could just make out the ghostly slope of a large field towards a dark wood on the horizon.

"Enjoy the match, June," Cedric said.

"You, too, Ced," Juniper replied, giving him a small smile.

They approached the cottage door. A man was standing in the doorway, looking out at the tents. Juniper knew at a glance that this was the only real Muggle for several acres. When he heard their footsteps, he turned his head to look at them.

"Morning!" Arthur said brightly.

"Morning," the Muggle said.

"Would you be Mr Roberts?"

"Aye, I would," Mr Roberts said. "And who're you?"

"Weasley — two tents, booked a couple of days ago?"

"Aye," Mr Roberts said, consulting a list tacked to the door. "You've got a space up by the woods there. Just the one night?"

"That's it," Arthur said.

"You'll be paying now, then?" Mr Roberts said.

"Ah — right — certainly —" Arthur said. He retreated a short distance from the cottage and beckoned Harry towards him. "Help me, Harry," he muttered, pulling a roll of Muggle money from his pocket and starting to peel the notes apart. "This one's a — a — a ten? Ah yes, I see the little number on it now . . . so this is a five?"