⤷ 07| THE DARK MARK

chapter seven : the Dark Mark

☆ ☆ ☆

"Don't tell your mother you've been gambling," Arthur implored Fred and George, as they all made their way slowly down the purple-carpeted stairs.

"Don't worry, Dad," Fred said gleefully, "we've got big plans for this money, we don't want it confiscated."

Arthur looked for a moment as though he was going to ask what these big plans were, but seemed to decide, upon reflection, that he didn't want to know.

They were soon caught up in the crowds now flooding out of the stadium and back to their campsites. Raucous singing was borne towards them on the night air as they retraced their steps along the latern-lit path, and leprechauns kept shooting over their heads, cackling and waving their lanterns. When they finally reached the tents, nobody felt like sleeping at all and, given the level of noise around us, Arthur agreed that they could all have one last cup of cocoa together before turning in. They were soon arguing enjoyably about the match; Arthur got drawn into a disagreement about cobbing with Charlie, and it was only when Ginny felt asleep right at the tiny table and spilling hot chocolate all over the floor that Arthur called a halt to the verbal replays, and insisted that everyone went to bed.

Hermione, Ginny, Juniper and Nymphadora went into the next tent and June didn't bother exchanging her clothes for her pajamas, instead, she climbed onto the bunk bed she shared with Nymphadora and fell asleep as once.

Juniper didn't know whether she had dreamt or not. All she knew was that, quite suddenly, Arthur barged into their tent and started shouting.

"Get up! Ginny — Hermione — Juniper get up! Tonks, we need you! Get up! Come on now!"

Juniper sat up quickly. "'S'matter?"

Dimly, she could tell that something was wrong. The noises in the campsite had changed. The singing had stopped. She could hear screams, and the sound of people running.

June jumped down the bunk bed and grabbed her jacket and her wand before following Nymphadora outside.

By the light of the few fires that were still burning, June could see people running away into the woods, fleeing something that was moving across the field towards them, something that was emitting odd flashes of light, and noises like gunfire. Loud jeering, roads of laughter and drunken yells were drifting towards them; then came a burst of strong green light, which illuminated the scene.

A crowd of wizards, tightly packed and moving together with wands pointing straight upwards, was marching slowly across the field. Juniper squinted at them . . . they didn't seem to have faces . . . then she realized that their heads were hooded and their face masked. High above them, floating along in mid-air, four struggling figures were being contorted into grotesque shapes. It was as though the masked wizards on the ground were puppeteer, and the people above them were marionettes operated by invisible strings that rose from the wands into the air. Two of the figures were very small.