⤷ 05| HALLOWEEN

chapter five : halloween

☆ ☆ ☆

October came rolling in which meant only one thing for Juniper; Quidditch season had begun. She had been a Chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch team ever since her second year at Hogwarts and she loved it very much. On Tuesday evening, Oliver called a meeting to discuss tactics for the new season.

Oliver Wood was a burly seventeen-year-old, now in his seventh and finial year at Hogwarts. There was a quiet sort of desperation as he addressed the seven of them in the chilly changing rooms on the edge of the darkening Quidditch pitch.

"This is our last chance — my last chance — to win the Quidditch Cup," he told them, striding up and down in front of them. "I'll be leaving at the end of this year. I'll never get another shot at it. Gryffindor haven't won for seven years now. OK, so we've had the worst luck in the world — injuries — then the tournament getting called off last year . . ." Wood swallowed, as though the memory still brought a lump to his throat. "But we also know we've got the best — ruddy — team — in — the — school," he said, punching a fist into his other hand, the old manic glint back in his eye.

"We've got four superb Chasers." Wood pointed at Angelina, Alicia, Juniper and Katie. The latter had been serving as a reserve player whenever one of them couldn't play.

"We've got two unbeatable Beaters."

"Stop it, Oliver, you're embarrassing us," Fred and George said together, pretending to blush.

"And we've got a Seeker who has never failed to win us a match!" Wood rumbled, glaring at Harry with a kind of furious pride. "And me," he added, as an afterthought.

"We think you're very good, too, Oliver," George said and June nodded in agreement.

"Cracking Keeper," Fred added.

"The point is," Wood went on, resuming his pacing, "the Quidditch Cup should have had our name on it these last two years. Ever since Harry joined the team, I've thought the thing was in our bag. But we haven't got it, and this year's the last chance we'll get to finally see our name on the thing . . ." Wood spoke so dejectedly that even Fred and George looked sympathetic.

"Oliver, this year's our year," Fred said.

"We'll do it, Oliver," Angelina added.

"Definitely," Harry finished.

Full of determination, the team started training sessions, three evenings a week. The weather was getting colder and wetter, the nights darker, but no amount of mud, wind or rain could tarnish June's wonderful vision of finally winning the huge silver Quidditch Cup.