⤷ 25| THE DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES

chapter twenty-five : the Department of Mysteries

☆ ☆ ☆

"Over here," Harry said, leading them quickly to the battered telephone box and opening the door. "Come on!" he urged the others.

Juniper went in first while the others squashed themselves in after her. Harry went in last and said, "Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!"

Ron did it, his arm bent bizarrely to reach the dial; as it whirred back into place a cool female voice sounded inside the box.

"Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business."

"Harry Potter, Juniper Black, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger," Harry said very quickly, "Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Mabel Longbottom, Luna Lovegood . . . we're here to save someone, unless your Ministry can do it first!"

"Thank you," the cool female voice said. "Visitors, please take the badges and attack them to the front of your robes."

Eight badges slid out of the metal chute where returned coins normally appeared. June scooped them up and handed them to everyone before adjusting her own to the front of her shirt. Juniper Black, Rescue Mission.

"Visitors to the Ministry, you are required to submit to a search and present your wands for registration at the security desk, which is located at the far end of the Atrium."

"Fine!" Harry said loudly. "Now can we move?"

The floor of the telephone box shuddered and the pavement rose up past its glass windows; blackness closed over their heads and with a dull grinding noise they sank down into the depths of the Ministry of Magic.

A chink of soft golden light hit their feet and, widening, rose up their bodies. June bent her knees and held her wand as ready as she could in such cramped conditions as she peered through the glass to see whether anybody was waiting for them in the Atrium, but it seemed to be completely empty. The light was dimmer than it had been by day (June had been there once accompanied by Nymphadora several years ago); there were no fires burning under the mantelpieces set into the walls, but as the lift slid smoothly to a halt she saw that golden symbols continued to twist sinuously in the dark blue ceiling.

"The Ministry of Magic wishes you a pleasant evening," the woman's voice said.

The door of the telephone box burst open; June toppled out of it, followed by the others. The only sound in the Atrium was the steady rush of water from the golden fountain, where jets from the wands of the witch and wizard, the point of the centaur's arrow, the top of the goblin's hat and the house-elf's ears continued to gush into the surrounding pool.

"Come on," Harry said quietly and the eight of them sprinted off down the hall, Harry in the lead, past the fountain towards the desk where the watchwizard who'd weighed their wands would sit. Except, the seat was deserted.