⤷ 12| QUIDDITCH FINAL

chapter twelve : quidditch final

☆ ☆ ☆

It was obvious that the Quidditch final was coming nearer and nearer. June had to fit her homework around Quidditch practic every day, not to mention endless discussions of tactics with Oliver. The Gryffindor—Slytherin match would take place on the first Saturday after the Easter holidays. Slytherin were leading the tournament by exactly two hundred points. This meant (as Oliver constantly reminded them) that they needed to win the match by more than that amount to win the Cup. It also meant that the burden of winning fell largely on Harry, because capturing the Snitch was worth one hundred and fifty points.

"So you must only catch it if we're more than fifty points up," Oliver told Harry constantly. "Only if we're more than fifty points up, Harry, or we win the match but lose the Cup. You've got that, haven't you? You must only catch the Snitch if we're —"

"I KNOW, OLIVER!" Harry yelled, making June pull Oliver away from him.

"Give the kid a break, Oliver," she would then say. "He knows what needs to be done."

The whole of Gryffindor House was obsessed with the coming match. Gryffindor hadn't won the Quidditch Cup since Charlie had been Seeker. But June doubted whether any of them, even Oliver, wanted to win as much as Harry did. The enmity between Harry and Draco was at its highest point ever. Which June didn't like since she didn't want to pick sides.

Never, in anyone's memory, had a match approached in such a highly charged atmosphere. By the time the holidays were over, tension between the two teams and their houses was at breaking-point. A number of small scuffles broke out in the corridors, culminating in a nasty incident in which a Gryffindor fourth-year and a Slytherin sixth-year ended up in the hospital wing with leeks sprouting out of their ears.

It wasn't until two days before the match that June finally snapped.

"Oliver, stop pacing around. You are making everyone even more nervous!"

Oliver, who had been pacing the common room, sank down on the couch next to the black haired girl after their teammates had murmured in agreement.

"I can't help it," Oliver sighed. "Tomorrow, someone from Puddlemere United will be coming to see the match and I really need to impress them, June."

"And you will," Juniper assured him. "You're the best Keeper Hogwarts has seen in a long time."

Oliver looked grimly. "I hope that will be enough."

"It will be," June replied. "Now, relax, Merlin, you're a nervous wreck."