⤷ 07| GRIM DEFEAT

chapter seven :  grim defeat

☆ ☆ ☆

"I think it's time for breakfast," Harry said, after what seemed like forever.

Juniper glanced at her watch before nodding and the two of them headed through the portrait.

"Stand and fight, you many cur!" Sir Cadogan yelled.

"Oh, shut up," Harry yawned.

The both of them woke up over a large bowl of porridge and by the time they'd started on toast, the rest of the team had turned up.

"It's going to be a tough one," Oliver said, who wasn't eating anything.

"Stop worrying, Oliver," Alicia said soothingly from next to June, "we don't mind a bit of rain."

But it was considerably more than a bit of rain. Such was the popularity of Quidditch that the whole school turned to watch the match as usual, but they ran down the lawns towards the Quidditch pitch, heads bowed against the ferocious wind, umbrellas being whipped out of their hands as they went.

The team changed into their scarlet robes and waited for Oliver's usual pre-match pep talk, but it didn't come. He tried to speak several times, made an odd gulping noise, then shook his head hopelessly and beckoned them to follow him.

The wind was so strong that they staggered sideways as they walked out onto the pitch. If the crowd was cheering, June couldn't hear it over the fresh rolls of thunder. Rain was making her hair clutch to her face and she wondered how on earth they could play in this weather.

The Hufflepuffs were approaching from the opposite side of the pitch, wearing canary-yellow robes.

The captains walked up to each other and shook hands, Cedric smiled at Oliver but the latter now looked at though he had lockjaw and merely nodded.

"Mount your brooms!" Madam Hooch's mouth formed the words.

June pulled her right foot out of the mud with a squelch and swung it over her Nimbus Two Thousand. Madam Hooch put her whistle to her lips and gave it a blast that sounded shrill and distant — they were off.

Angeline managed to grab the Quaffle and the three of them were off into their first play. June managed to score and got almost blasted off her broom by the wind.

Within five minutes, she was soaked to her skin and frozen, hardly able to see her team-mates. Alicia managed to take the Quaffle from the other team and once again, the three of them headed back towards the goals. Juniper threw the Quaffle to Angelina who managed to score.