birthday

Today was our daughters first birthday, she was one full year old. We were so in love with her, she could now say 'mama' and 'dada' and she also learnt to say 'uh oh' when something spilt, or even just randomly.

We threw her a small party, all with close friends. I walked over to cristina, who was over the moon to be at her god daughters party, "heyyy how's my little birthday girl" she took ella from me, smiling and laughing, she now had thicker curly, dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes, she was gorgeous. "Is auntie cristina going to look after you while mama and dada light a candle" i walked over to the kitchen counter, derek had already placed the candle in the middle, and we brought it over to her high chair, it was only small, and very simple, we wanted one of those cakes babies can smash their face into and eat with their hands, we thought the pictures would be much cuter. I licked some baby pink icing off my finger and moaned "hmnn where did you get this cake it's amazing" i asked derek, since he had been in charge of most of he party planning. He didn't reply, but instead smirked at me, and kissed my head quickly.

Cristina put ella in the high chair as we sang happy birthday to her, derek filmed the first part, before handing the camera to callie, we crouched next to ella to take a photo, before she got all messy. "Happy birthday ells" i kissed her forehead as she giggled, she blew out the tiny white candle before i took it out, and she shoved her hand into the cake. Derek and i were in hysterics, watching our tiny daughter destroy the cake.

I was too busy laughing to notice that ella had pulled something out of the cake, "mama, uh oh" she shoved it into my hand, something she normally did when she didn't want to hold something. I looked at the small velvet box and wiped some icing off of it, "hey derek she found this in the..." i opened it to reveal a diamond ring, gasping. Ella completely ignored everything apart from the cake she shoved into her mouth, "derek what is this" i asked, everyone in the room smiling, callie was still videoing, "meredith, i love you, and i love our daughter, and i want to call you my wife, i want to spend every second of the rest of my life, with you" he said, pulling me up from my current uncomfortable crouching position. "Marry me?" he asked, tears filled my eyes and i let them stream down my face as i wrapped my arms around him, i didn't expect any of this, and i certainly didn't expect to be so emotional in front of all these people. He pulled away and we kissed, "so is that a yes?" he questioned, "yes yes yes yes yes, a thousand times yes" i sniffed and practically squealed.

It was perfect, everything about the day so far was completely and utterly amazing. Derek slid the gorgeous ring on my finger, before ella fussed, wanting to be picked up, i pulled her out of the chair, wiping her icing covered fingers with a wet wipe, before hugging derek, whilst she giggled, sitting on my hip, clapping her hands together, as if she knew we were celebrating. She motioned her arms over to derek "dada" she whined, i handed her over to derek and he walked over to talk to mark, who i can only assume knew about this. I walked over to cristina and she pulled me into a tight hug "mer i'm so so happy for you i love you" she smiled "thank you, i love you too, and i don't think i've ever been happier" i gushed. "Did you know about this?" i asked her, curious "not really, he asked me a while back if you would say yes if he proposed, but i thought nothing of it" she replied, clearly surprised at the eventfulness of the day.

Callie and arizona came over and hugged me one at a time, "grey, you're getting married!" callie squeaked. I nodded, smiling so hard my cheeks started to hurt. "Well just wait until the wedding, you two will be bridesmaids" i shocked them, "ahhh, i cannot wait, you will look so pretty in a white dress, ooo what will ella wear?" they bombarded me with questions, to which i responded mostly with laughs, "i don't know anything yet" i said before i felt a hand on my shoulder. "Hey" he said, kissing me on the neck twice before turning me around, "hey, how's my baby girl" ella reached for me fussing, i took her and she tucked her head into my neck, clearly a bit overwhelmed by all the people and noise. "I think we should go put her to bed, she's tired" i said. I looked down at her perfect little face, her eyes fluttering before closing and drifting off in my arms, i wanted nothing more than to just keep her around me, but i knew she would be a pain in the ass tomorrow if she didn't get enough proper sleep. Before we could take her up to bed, cristina, callie, arizona, richard, izzie, george and mark all started to say their goodbyes.

We waved them off at the front door, carful not to wake ella, who was still fast asleep in my arms, we finally closed the door, our house a lot quieter and a lot less full. Derek cleared up the kitchen, as i took ella up to her room, we redecorated a while ago, it now had fairy lights and vines on the ceiling, one wall was painted pink where her crib was, and the rest where plain white.

When i put her down she almost started crying so i picked her back up, rocking her in the rocking chair.

I was mostly in shock, don't get me wrong i was excited, and happy to get married, especially because i knew i was marrying the love of my life. I was also slightly nervous, i didn't want a big wedding, something small, just close friends and maybe a couple of family members, somewhere small and secluded.

Eventually i got ella down for the night before i left the room, to meet derek, who had just gotten upstairs. "Hey i kissed him passionately, walking us to our room, "hi" he chucked, "we're getting married" he whispered seductively, i pulled away and giggled.

After hours of mind blowing 'we're newly engaged!' sex, we lay in bed, limbs intertwined, "i'm assuming you don't want a huge church wedding" derek asked me "no, definitely not, let's do something small, surrounded by the people that we love" i suggested, "that sounds perfect" he kissed me. "I cannot wait to spend every day for the rest of my life with you" he stated, making my heart melt, "i love you so much" i buried my head into his chest, listening to his heart beat, before slowly falling asleep , my hand in his.

okay i actually really liked this chapter i thought it was sweet, tell me what you think :) also i will be slowing down the time jumps for wedding stuff in the next chapters.