Morning Rehersal

Hauze Lei

Rehearsing the middle section, the both of us powered through the piece sight reading together for the first time. My eyes looking ahead slightly holding my breath making sure I could keep up with the tempo Faye had chosen to rehearse for today. We weren't playing at full tempo and I could tell Faye was getting tired after rehearsing all morning on my solo, her solo, then our first duet piece we had just decided on. I smiled as I switched  from fifth position to third position thinking about what happened yesterday with Faye.

We were approaching the end of the second movement where we agreed to stop. I took a glance towards her and my breath was taken away as she played her cello with focus. I looked back to the piece in front of me mesmerized by her bow hold and her strong will to rehearse for hours with little sleep and having quite a lot of wine the night before. Faye did not complain this morning when I woke her up to do rehearsal. She was the one who pulled me into the living room so we could rehearse.

The piece came to an end for the second movement and I looked towards Faye again waiting to cut off at the same time as her. She took a deep breath and I lifted my bow off the string the same time she lifted hers. The vibrato used for our last note resonated around the room and I waited until she took her fingers off the string before relaxing. She placed her cello on the ground on its side and she stood to place her bow on top of the piano. I carefully place my violin and bow on top of the piano.

Making my way over to her I wrapped my arms around her waist from behind and placed my chin gently on top of her head. I realized last night she loved being held. She felt at peace and comfortable with me holding her until she fell asleep at some point of watching Love Alarm. Seeing her in my arms and watching tv was something I did not realize this was something that would become my new favorite thing to do with her. This was something I felt was missing and also wanted. I've never done anything like this before.

Faye turned around in my arms and she brought her arms where they could be placed around my shoulders. She looked up with a tired smile. She may be exhausted, but I could see in her eyes from the little time we've been here in Paris she has been... content. She seemed more relaxed and I was beginning to see a side of her I haven't had the chance to witness. I hope I can continue to make her feel this way.

I looked towards her lips, tempted to kiss her here. It wasn't clear for me if she was ready. We're at a stage where we comfortably cuddle, holding each other and allowing myself to kiss her forehead. Telling her she's beautiful was enough to see her blushing.

"Lei?" She asked lightly. I smiled and moved a strand of her hair away from her face and hummed. She then leaned her head against my chest and I gently kissed her head. "Thank you for bringing me here."

"Thank you for trusting me Faye," I spoke. My heart beated quickly for her and I knew I was feeling content where we were going at the moment. We stood like this in silence for a few minutes enjoying the company of each other. "Faye?" She hummed a moment later and realized she was resting her eyes. There wasn't a way for me to go back now once I do this. She pulled her head back to look up to me. Her green eyes made direct eye contact and I was at loss for a moment. "I really like you." I spoke gently. A smile formed her face and I took a step closer to her. Her lower back gently hit the piano. Her cheeks were evident of blush.

"I like this side of you," she spoke. Her tone became shy suddenly and I found it cute. "As you know..." she spoke softly. "I like you. You know that already." I knew she had liked me for quite some time, but hearing her say it out loud gave me a feeling where my heart only raced for her.

"You're beautiful," I spoke to her. I unwrapped one of my arms so I could place my one hand on her waist. "I hope you will give me a chance?"

"A chance by going on an official date?"