Coping

Faye Calinao

"We're here Miss.Calinao," the driver spoke and I thanked him before getting out of the car. "Should I wait here until you're finished shopping?" Mr.Min asked.

"No, it's alright. I'll call when I'm ready. It may be quite a while that I'm here," I responded softly.

"Very well." I smile at the driver, because it was the only interaction I had with anyone. I shut the door and he drove off. I turned towards the mall and began making my way towards the tea shop.

It has been five days now since I returned to Shanghai alone. It has also been that long since Ximen has spoken to me. After Ximen had left my room to get flight tickets for me to head home, I hid in the room not wanting to see anyone, because I wanted to avoid the questions of why I am leaving. Meizuo was confused why I was in my room and not in the living room ready to continue our show and have cookies. Ximen made an excuse that I wasn't doing well and had a family emergency back in Shanghai with my grandparents.

It was unbelievable he made such an excuse when he only wanted me to be separated from his friends. I did not know when he came back he would avoid me as well. I felt like he abandoned me, because we haven't talked or I barely see him since I left. My worst fear of Ximen ending our friendship seemed so near. Each morning I would find Ximen had already left for school or would sleepover at Meizuo's. Ximens's personal driver has been taking me to school each morning and he would be waiting for me when my classes were over.

In class that I had with the three of them I felt too embarrassed to sit by them, because I'm not a part of their group and Ximen gave me a warning look the first day we were back in class to not sit with them. When Meizuo called out my name, the boys all looked in my direction. I'm sure Lei was wondering why I had skipped theory that morning and the class after that. Meizuo wanted to ask what happened friday evening and I'm sure Daoming Si was enjoying my suffering. I sent a small reassuring smile before sitting towards the front of the lecture hall not wanting to burst into tears, because Ximen doesn't want to be around me as well. It felt like he was choosing them and it made complete sense, because he has been close with them well before he met me. I had to disappear as soon as the lecture was over to avoid Meizuo's calls. I felt guilty for avoiding him, but I wasn't going to let him ruin his friendship for me. I felt terrible that I refused to go to private rehearsals with Lei this week, because I wasn't ready to face the questions and accusations he had.

At lunch I would eat in the library on the third floor alone and at ensemble rehearsals with Lei I would avoid eye contact. He sat first chair for the first violins and I sat first chair for the cello section meaning we sat right across from each other. The conductor was the only thing that stood between us. Lei himself tried to approach from rehearsals, but I was already upset from my isolation Ximen had demanded for. I quickly packed and would leave in a hurry. I knew Lei valued his friendship and I did too, I wish it did not have to affect my emotional state.

My emotional state at the moment wasn't doing so well. I wanted to smile and be happy, but having no one around, especially Ximen, brought me down. It put me in a state, where I wanted to build a wall around me. Over the course of the few days I realized that wasn't best and I should try to make friends. I'm lucky enough Ximen allowed me to continue to stay with him. My first step was going to the tea shop in hopes of seeing Xiaoyou.

The tea shop was just up ahead and I looked around cautiously. When I entered, I noticed Xiaoyou and one other person who was working, but had their back facing me. When Xiaoyou looked up and noticed I was standing at the door, the shy girl smiled and her eyes widened in excitement to see me. I walked over to the counter feeling shy.

"You're here!" Xiaoyou beamed. The girl who had her back to me turned around and my eyes widened slightly to see Shancai in uniform. Shancai turned to Xiaoyou. "Shancai, this is Faye! I met her last week and she's really nice! She kept me company when the shop was slow."