Milk Tea

•What is your favorite flavor milk tea?

Faye Calinao

"No," Lei stated firmly and I let out a sigh. I close the piece and look for the spot it was on the shelf. For the past forty five minutes, Lei and I have been here trying to figure out one of the duet pieces we would be performing together. After eating at the cafe, I knew Lei wasn't ready to drive and I had come up with the idea of going to a music store nearby to pass time. We thought it was a good time to start searching for duet pieces.

"You've said that to the last ten pieces I picked out. We need to decide on those three pieces somewhat soon." I turned to Lei standing beside me as he stood next to me browsing at the selection of pieces.He seemed to go quiet after awhile and I wasn't sure if it was something we were discussing over breakfast. The difference between now and at breakfast is the mood. Lei suddenly became quiet and as if I had pissed him off. "Lei?" I asked.

"Hmm?" His eyes seemed to be trained on a particular piece. He seemed so focused on what he was looking at.

"Did I do something wrong at breakfast?" Lei stopped turning the page to the piece in his hand and he turned towards me. His expression doesn't give away anything.

"Why would you think you have done something wrong?" He questioned.

"I feel like something is bothering you."

"You haven't done anything." He turned his attention back to the music and I frowned slightly. During breakfast we were talking and enjoying our meal. The atmosphere was light and relaxed. Now it seemed to have changed. A part of me felt unsure what more I could say if I felt something was wrong. I don't want to pester more than I already have.

Ximen learned from a young age I was very self conscious about what I thought. He knew I was easily brought down by the wrong gesture or words. Ximen was always careful how he reacted or would make sure I was okay when he thought I may have taken something the wrong way.

Lei, doesn't know me well enough to realize this. Hesitantly, I took a step back from the music and turned away from Lei to look around the store.

"I'm going to wait outside," I say lightly wondering what he'll say. He only hums and I bite the inside of my cheek as I made my way out of the store feeling a bit bothered. I took my phone out and sent a quick text to Ximen. Walking out of the store, I looked ahead to see a few cushioned chairs and walked over to take a seat. My phone vibrates and I look down to see a message from Ximen.

Ximen: It's going to take some time for him to get used to you Faye. He hasn't been quite himself since our friend Jing left for France

I put my phone back into my purse before leaning back against the chair. I looked around to see many people walking around in groups of both small and large. There were many shops around here. I'm sure there must be a milk tea shop somewhere around here. Hopefully we could run into one. I could go for one right about now.

I pull my phone back out of my purse and log onto my Weibo account to pass by some time. I noticed there were many mentions and tagging of me towards a post. I also noticed I was tagged from Meizuo, who I had recently followed on here. I smiled slightly and clicked on his notification.

Awe this is cute

The picture was a picture of Ximen, Meizuo, and I at the bar the first night I arrived. It was a picture the bartender had taken of us up close. Both Ximen and Meizuo had their arms around me squeezing me in between them. They held their drink with their free hand and I had the happiest smile I've seen in quite awhile. That night I genuinely felt like myself and was enjoying my time.